Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My Baby likes to "pinch" me!

Default My Baby likes to "pinch" me!

My baby is almost 8 months old and just recently, she began "pinching" me while I'm breastfeeding her! She started out just doing the "kneading" thing, but now as she does that... she pinches me! I grab her hand and pull it away from me and tell her "no, that hurts mommy", but I know she doesn't quite understand what I'm saying. But it also seems to upset her because I interupted her "rythym" or something!

She does this any time I feed her, whether it's during the day or a night time feeding lying next to me in bed.

Please, what can I do to prevent this from continuing?

Default Re: My Baby likes to "pinch" me!

Hi JayciBug,
    You posted this a while back. How's it going lately? Has your dd's new "habit" subsided at all?
    At this age you may just need to be gently persistent in re-directing your dd's hands and fingers. Some mothers have luck with those nursing necklaces. Or you could try some other type of toy or distraction (your hair, your clothes, something soft) to keep her hands busy while you nurse. I've even heard that some slings come with a little silky ribbon or cloth attachment just for little fingers to twirl.

Mary

Wow! nursing necklaces - what a concept, i never heard of that, but it sounds like a great idea. MY 6 month old DD is always pinching and squeeaing my breast, in face it is all scratched up from her little nails. I am going to try that, I know it will work bc she loves to just squeeze over and over agian while she is nursing. Thanks!

Lightbulb Re: My Baby likes to "pinch" me!

THANK YOU FOR THE NECKLACE IDEA!!!

DD pinches, prods, and then tries to stick her fingers in WITH the nipple, causing her to pop off. I am out to find a necklace today!!

Thank you kindly, I think I'll give that a try. I've already tried to let her play with my hair... but I think I'll be going bald here soon if she keeps on pulling it out! LOL She loves to play with my hair, but she likes to wrap it around her little fingers and yank it out. But I think that the ribbon thing might help her a lot because she loves to play with tags on stuffed animals and on her blanket. I've tried a necklace and she'll play with it a little but then continue to pinch, poke, prod and scratch me.

She likes to take my skin and roll it in between her thumb and fingers. And, it's not big chunks of skin, it's more like little tiny pinches (the kind that hurt the most)

But thank you kindly for the idea on the ribbons, I think she'll really enjoy that.

Have you heard of "taggies"? they are little comfort blankets with tags of ribbons sticking off the edges, some babies love to feel the different textured taggies. also, silkies are nice. they are little satin blankies to cuddle with. you could probably find them on google or make your own

Smile Re: My Baby likes to "pinch" me!

hello my baby girl is 4 months and doese this too. her nails hurt too when they grow.
    t try to give her my shirt to grab and knead it works if she likes the material, might help