Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Birth control pill

Default Birth control pill

Hi,
    I am an exclusive pumper due to the fact that we had to supplement when my DS was 3 weeks old and he got attached to the bottle. I tried EVERYTHING and nothing helped. Anyway, my DS is now 7 1/2 months old, and I want to pump until the end of Feb, which will get him through cold season. I hate pumping and am tired of being tied to the pump. I just wanted to let everyone know that since I recently started on the progesterone only pill, my suppply has DROPPED! I don't plan on discontinuing it, but if I ever have another baby (which I'll hopefully breastfeed) I will not use this pill until I'm ready to wean. My dr is a very pro breastfeeding and assured me that it would not affect production, but my supply dropped by half a few days after I started it. Anyway, I thought I'd let everyone know that this may be a factor if you are concerned about supplly. HTH.

Default Re: Birth control pill

I'm on the POP and can't tell too much difference. Estrogen usually dries up milk so not sure why that has happened. I'm dealing with the pumping issue as well. My baby is 8 weeks old and prefers bottle-only nurses 5 min maybe 1-2 times a day. Have tried everything. I'm hoping I can pump as long as you. I know the frequency will decrease at some point. I still have hope that I can get her back to the breast. Have you tried Fenugreek to increase your supply?

I have tried Fenugreek, and it never seemed to make a difference. I think it works for some and not others. As far as the POP goes, I have to think it's responsible for the dropped supply since nothing else changed. Good luck w/ breastfeeding- I really hope it works out for you but please make sure you don't obsess over it-I did, and I feel like I wasted the 1st 3 months of my baby's life. See a LC, but remember that some things are beyond your control. As far as pumping goes, take it a week at a time. Good luck!!

Hey! Thanks for the input!

I have been hesitating on taking BC for that reason, especially since I am very sensitive to medication and its side effects (particularly hormones).

You've just sealed the deal for me, I will use condoms until I am done breastfeeding. Kinda sucks but baby's nutrition comes first.

Thanks for the info!
    Renee

I have been taking birth control since my son was a month & I still have a good supply. The doc put me on Ortho Lo. She said it is a lower dosage of estrogen & would not affect my supply.

i think it really differs from woman to woman. from all the "pill" threads that i've read on this forum, every woman reacts to the pill differently...some have a decreased milk supply...some don't notice a change in supply at all. like renee, i've decided not to go back on the pill just for fear of how my body will react to it.
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches