Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bitting!!! Ouchie!! Help!!

Default Bitting!!! Ouchie!! Help!!

My DD is just over 7 months and since her cute little tooth came in a couple of weeks ago, BF sessions have been nothing but painful. She starts out pretty good, but after a minute or two she clenches down on me and pulls her head back - with her mouth still clenched - OUCHIE!! I would LOVE to be able to BF her at least until her 1 yr bday, but at this rate she might not have any nipple left to feed from if she keeps bitting me. We have noticed her doing the same thing on bottles, but if we stop feeding, she is very fussing wanting more.

She started solids about a month ago - we have been feeding breast or bottle before the solids and she only has solids twice a day (cereal in the morning and one or one and 1/2 jars of 1st foods in the evening).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS

Default Re: Bitting!!! Ouchie!! Help!!

i dont have advice, but a question?? does she have top or bottom teeth?? my lo just turned 8 months and i JUST found 2 bottom teeth about 10 minutes ago!!! so now im nerrrrvous!! but i have read that since their tounge covers their teeth when they are actively sucking they wont bite??
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

My lo bit for about a month after he got his first two teeth at 6 months, but (thankfully) he finally stopped and nursing has gone well since then (10 1/2 mo now). So, there is hope.

Mine did the same thing when his teeth first came in. I pulled him off the breast and said "no!" Seems to have worked, but he still has only those two bottom teeth. I dread the day he has more. Of course he still tries to bite occasionally, mostly when he's done eating and is just kind of hanging out on the boob.

The lactation consultant at my local clinic suggested freezing some of my breast milk in a little ice cube tray and then putting a cube in one of those mesh feeders. The cold would soothe the gums and the milk in the ice cube would take some of the edge off of the hunger. I never tried it, but it sounds like it might work! good luck!

Omg are you me??!! My son is 8 mo yesterday and does the same thing. He was biting when he got his first 2 teeth in a month ago and then stopped but he is doing the same thing again, I'm assuming his top 2 might be on the way now. And yes he bites and pulls away with my tender nipple still in his mouth. I have yelled ouch many of a times and have taken him off quite a few times and told him he is done, but he still wants more and I give in again. I'm hoping once the second set comes in he'll stop again. So I know excatly what you are going thru and wish you luck. Teething is hard for our little ones so hang in there. The best thing I can say is to put him down, and tell him no biting, it works "Sometimes" for me! One otherthing I noticed is if he isn't really hungry but bored he does it too since he is trying to get my attention and not really milk, so that can be it too!
    Last edited by MomO4; December 16th, 2006 at 07:27 PM.

Thank you all for your input/advice/ideas. DD must have seen me typing this post, as after that evening she hasn't bitten me - KNOCK ON WOOD! I have tried really interacting with her as much as possible while she is BF - letting her pull on my hair (rather have that than her bite) - singing to her more than usual and seems to be working. She just sucks and no bites. Hopefully it was just a phase as her tooth was coming in or something and won't be a permanent thing!

Best Holiday Wishes to you all!