Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In pain

Default In pain

I'm having a lot of pain while bfing for the last week. One breast is especially tender due to two small open wounds from my son's teeth. He did not bite me, but he is pulling off frequently while maintaining suction. He now has three upper teeth.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to heal the cuts and discourage my ds from pulling off. I have been applying Newman's all purpose nipple ointment 3-4 times a day.

Default Re: In pain

is baby sick?
    my dd does that when she has a stuffy nose.
    You might have to try saline drops in babies nose to get all the junk out right before nursing.

I have had this occur on a couple occasions. It was helpful to try to vary my son's nursing position so that his teeth/strongest point of suction weren't right on the open cuts. We also had to sit up to nurse at night for awhile so that I could really pay attention to positioning and latch, rather than doing it half asleep. If you have one good breast, always offer that one first and try to nurse on that side as much as possible to give the more sore side a rest. The ointment should also help. How long have you been using it?

Thanks for the replies.

He's not sick. His teeth are coming in.

I will try varying the positions. The lying down is the only position that doesn't hurt. Maybe it's time we get creative He's 11 months old.

I've been using the ointment for 5 days.

I used Neosporin and healed up so much more quickly than I thought.

If lying down doesn't hurt, then maybe you could try lying down for every feeding for a few days and see if they heal.

Oh no, we're having more problems. Today he would only latch on for a minute or two, and he bit me twice. I'm confused as to what this means. He's only 11 months old, isn't he too young to be self-weaning?!

If this keeps up tomorrow, I suppose I better start pumping or I'll lose my supply.

My baby is 15 months old and one of my breasts hurts considerably when he latches on and when my milk comes in. I've had this pain for a few months now and I asked my dr. when I went in for my yearly physical what she thought and she told me that it isn't a plugged duct or an infection. It feels like a bruise that won't go away. Any ideas on how to make it heal?

For what it's worth, on the days he nurses a bunch, it's much worse.

DJ has 8 front teeth now and two back and his latch has changed considerably and he's grazing my breasts almost constantly. I find that using the nipple cream helps quite a bit because it essentially keeps the nipple lubricated during the dragging of the teeth. Now, if I could just be more DILIGENT about putting on regularly perhaps they wouldn't be on FIRE!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by jentut View Post
    Oh no, we're having more problems. Today he would only latch on for a minute or two, and he bit me twice. I'm confused as to what this means. He's only 11 months old, isn't he too young to be self-weaning?!

If this keeps up tomorrow, I suppose I better start pumping or I'll lose my supply.
    No, this doesn't sound like self-weaning. Seft-weaning is usually a very gradual process. It may likely be due to the teething. It is good to pump if he's refusing the breast. Sometimes the teething pain makes it uncomfortable to nurse. You can try offering a cold washcloth or other teething object for him to bite for awhile before nursing. Tylenol or teething tablets may also help. How has he been today?