Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Still soar nipples...

Default Still soar nipples...

Hi there...
    My lo is 3 weeks old today and nursing very well however, I still have very soar nipples and the tips of them are purple (bruised). I had a lc come out and observe us, the only thing she said was that she has a tight lower lip but the latch was very good. What can be causing this pain? It is so frustrating when all she wants to do is feed and I cringe every time she wants to. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks!

Default Re: Still soar nipples...

I don't know about the bruising but I do know about the sensitivity! At that age my lo had my nipples so tender that even the spray from the shower hurt! It gets better.

Don't believe what you read that the pain will only last a few days. I'm approaching 9 weeks and still have some soreness, though along the way the pain was caused by various things, thrush being a big one for a while (I also had the deep breast pain indicative of thrush in the milk ducts.)

Anyways, I'm now convinced that some women just have more sensitive nipples than others. I've had my son's latch evaluated and it's always been fine. I do have a pretty strong let-down so he does some funky things with his mouth to try to slow down the flow at the beginning so I think that is partly what is hurting me. My lactation consultant said to take 200 mg of ibuprofen twice a day and I'm using an all-purpose nipple cream my midwife presribed which has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and other things in it in case one of those things are the cause of the pain.

I hope this doesn't discourage you. My friends told me the pain for the weeks couple of weeks was normal and it would be gone long before now, but I've come to accept that it might hurt me a little bit but I'm not going to let that stand in our way. The pain is VERY MINIMAL now, usually just when he gets started and not at every feeding so stick with it! It will get lots better.

I agree with the pp and my nipples were sore for a lot longer than the "few days or weeks" that the books talk about. I will say that once I invested in some really good nursing bras, the pain subsided. Now that DS is teething, the soreness (much more mild) is back.

Just trust that it does get better and in the mean time try as many comfort measures as you can.
    Theresa

My nipple were cracked and soar for 4 weeks! I tried all of the treatments but they only made my nipples slippery and Sarah would havee trouble nursing. Unfortunately I just had to grin and bear it.

Hang in there, this will pass!

We had a rocky beggining to our breast feeding relationship. from day one i had bruised and sore nipples. everytime she would begin to latch on i would cringe, and sometimes tears would run down my cheek from the pain. once she learned to latch on properly, i realized that it was just going to take time for the tissue to heal. i purchased gel packs called SOOTHIES at the drug store. i could not believe how much they helped me. i put them in the freezer for a few hours and then put them in my nursing bra over night. they worked a miracle for me! by the morning i felt like a new person and the intense pains were gone. i highly recommend them for sore nipples.

Hang in there mom, it will get better!!!

My LO is 10 weeks old and I still get sore sometimes. I think most women toughen up sooner than me, I am very fair skinned and sensitive, so I feel it more I think.

You will feel better before you know it and this will be a thing of the past.