Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meat

Default Meat

I have read in a few places that meat is fine after 6 months. My mom of course feed me meat as one of my first foods and I turned out great . I have also read that some people suggest not to give it until 9 months. I wanted to give it for its iron content as well as fat because my DS is a bit thin. Neither me nor my DH have food allergies. Anyone have any experience with this?

Default Re: Meat

We introduced Chicken and Turkey at between 9&10months. We have held off on Beef and Pork because all the links that Annie (paint-the-moon) sent me including the one from Kellymom and Dr. Sears said to wait on beef and pork...
    We have now (He will be one next Friday given him strips of steak and strips of pork chops but are still holding off on things like ham, bacon and ground beef. She also sent me some links discussing the ill effects of salt on LO systems when they are under a year old. They aren't equipped to process it. I gave him a baby pickle once and of course he loved it! (But then she sent me the stuff ) No pickles since then! It's a few months....better safe than sorry wherever possible.
    Watermelon is a great source of Iron and other good sources of healthy fat are advacados and olive oil. That fat is way better for them the the fat you'd get from meat! HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

Hi DJ's mom. How did you first introduce meat? As large chunks to hold and chew on? I can' t imagine grinding it up and putting it in pureed food. That makes me want to barf.

And our DD loves chewing on a dill pickle every now and then so could you post the links about salt? Or of Paint the Moon sees this post and replys that would be cool too.

meat was the only thing that I ground for my kids. just because it was easier then trying to chop it with a knife. We started about 9-12 months with the meat. I had a hand milll that I just put a portion of what ever we had for supper in. Then I would just stick it on their plate and let them at it.
    WE don't have any food allergies in our family if we would have I would have been much more carefull about introducing solid foods.
    my kids loved chicken legs that I would give them whole.
    You have to take the sharp bones off the sides and that cartalge that is over the tip of the leg.

Thanks for the replies. Did you guys stay away from all ground meat? Was your reason possible contamination? What cuts of meat were easiest to puree?

DJ's Mom - as far as the olive oil. did you just add a little to his food once and a while? at what age did you start doing this.

Thanks again

We did mostly table foods what we were having during supper. Meat included.
    I didn't realy give much tomatoe sauce before a year. So I would fry the ground meat in a pan and take out a baby size portion before I added tomatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by sblairc View Post
    Hi DJ's mom. How did you first introduce meat? As large chunks to hold and chew on? I can' t imagine grinding it up and putting it in pureed food. That makes me want to barf.

And our DD loves chewing on a dill pickle every now and then so could you post the links about salt? Or of Paint the Moon sees this post and replys that would be cool too.
    Chicken Shreds is the best way I can describe it. Just like with all the food I give him I made sure it was long and skinny enough to get his fist around and still get some in his mouth. That's one of the things about Chicken a Turkey I liked...their shred-able quality! It's not all tendon like like beef is.. if he bites into it comes right off in his mouth. Beef only acts like that if it's been in a crockpot all day!
    I agree pureed meat sounds disgusting! I have no link ability at all! I will ask Annie to Post the stuff about salt!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by xaviersmama View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Did you guys stay away from all ground meat? Was your reason possible contamination? What cuts of meat were easiest to puree?

DJ's Mom - as far as the olive oil. did you just add a little to his food once and a while? at what age did you start doing this.

Thanks again
    No purees here. Poultry Shreds and he has actually had some ground turkey..just not ground beef. And my baby is on the big side so I never felt like I needed to "fatten him up" I just have been in several food conversations here and know that olive oil and avacado are some of the "good" fats to fatten them up with. As it happens my husband suscribes to this school of thought to he uses olive oil to cook with. So any where that use would use reg vegetable oil, butter or lard he uses olive oil whenever possible. Avacado was actually like his 2nd food...and olive oil came when he was about 771/2 to 8months I believe.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by sblairc View Post
    Hi! Haven't been around lately. Shelly emailed me and asked me to post a couple links. And I wouldn't have seen this otherwise since the title is "Meat" ... veggie here! Here's the information:

An infant's kidneys can't process salt like an adult's can. And adding salt to you little one's diet so young can lead them to crave it later on and could increase the risk of heart disease, etc. Here are a couple links regarding an infant's salt intake:

How much salt should babies have?

Salt Intake And The Health Of Your Children

Hope this helps!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

We primarily eat wild game, but we do eat organic free-range turkey and chicken, organic range beef, and occasionally pork. Dd started eating all of those foods around 8 months. I never pureed any meats...and she even eats steaks from time to time...as long as they are very tender. I don't grind any of it either. The steak she just very recently started eating (around 10.5 months) and we would just take very small bits for her to chew...so that if she did happen to swallow it, it was small enough to swallow. She loves it. She eats ground elk (but its very low in animal fat...not the kind you buy in the super market), and generally unsalted. We don't salt much of anything until after its cooked...salt actually increases the toughness of meat while cooking, so I add it to my food after its cooked.

I really tried to go with a natural child led solids...if it seemed like she wanted it I would allow her to have it (as long as it wasn't something totally unhealthy). And sometimes we are out and about (we do a lot of potluck type parties here) and the food is not the best and she eats it anyway. I try to offer the healthiest choices at home, but am not super freaky about letting her explore other foods. I try to find the best foods at functions like that but I love potatoe salad and I have to admit I have given her some of it before!

Anyway, now I am rambling! Take care!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes