Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: To sleep in a bra or not???

Default To sleep in a bra or not???

Hello,
    I am wondering if it is ok for your supply to sleep in a bra?? I always have, since I hate waking up soaking wet and leaking during night feedings. But some paper my OB gave me mentioned for those who want to stop their supply (to strickly formula feed) they should keep a bra on at all times. Well stopping a supply is the last thing I want to do, so should I not sleep in the bra?? I have seen sleep nursing bras before years ago, can't seem to find one now!!

TIA

Default Re: To sleep in a bra or not???

Sleep in a sleep bra and you'll be fine!

Way too lazy for formula

I actually slept in a regular Medela nursing bra, and had no problems. I am small breasted, and never could get the hang of the sleep bras (they'd always "slam" shut on my baby's latch! ).

Lisa

http://www.birthandbabyorders.com/index.php?p=76
    I had this one and it was very comfortable.

I sleep in just a regular nursing bra from Kohls and I haven't had any problems. It's stretchy so it's not like it pushes down on them or anything. I didn't even know they had sleep nursing bras.
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~

there's a couple of other threads in "breastfeeding in public and nursing apparel" about bras & sleeping:

http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33

several of people have posted that they like to sleep in a nursing camisole

there are many companies that make a nursing camisole, including Target
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I sleep in a nursing sleep bra I got from Motherhood. So much easier than fussing with clips in the middle of the night. And my breasts are pretty free to tumble around... it's definitely not a bra for shape or support. LOL

I sleep in one I got from motherwear. I need the support or I am in a lot of pain...unfortunately if I end up engorged the bra is too tight so I have pain then too....anyway...I am happy I bought one.

I started out sleeping in a sleep bra so I didn't leak, but now I just go topless. Sometimes I leak, but we sleep on a waterproof pad, so it's all good. Less work in the middle of the night!
    Last edited by mommylaura; December 15th, 2006 at 06:12 PM.

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wife to my wonderful Simon
    Parenting my sweet Noah born 5.2.06 from the heart

http://www.normalizebreastfeeding.com

A bra won't cause problems for you unless it's too tight or poorly fitted. Some mothers prefer to avoid underwire, too, because it can sometimes contribute to clogged ducts.

As many of the PPs have pointed out, there are many comfortable stretchy sleep bras on the market. Some mothers find that a close fitting t-shirt or tank top with an adhesive pad stuck to the inside does the trick. Others prefer to sleep topless on a towel or even a waterproof crib pad.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!