Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: getting started

Default getting started

I have a few questions…I have a 7 week old daughter who has been breast feeding with no major problems so far. However, I want to start pumping for times when I am not with her. I will not be returning too work but there are times that I have to be away. Where do I begin? How do I get started pumping w/o messing up my supply? Any suggestions on what type of bottle to use? Als0, she has thrush...ahhhh.Should I wait until that clears up?

Default Re: getting started

Congratulations on your new DD!

Around 6-9wks your supply evens out to meet DD's needs, so it's good to start pumping now so your body continues to create enough milk for you to easily "skim off the top" so to speak. You can pump right after DD nurses and you may get quite a bit. If you don't, I find the best time is in the early morning hours (say, 4:30-5:30am). Supply seems to drop throughout the day, and many people find it hard to get very much in the evenings. I really like the Lansinoh bags for freezing. You can find them at most pharmacies.

My LC suggested Playtex Natural Latch (slow flow) bottles, but often the person making the bottle decision will be your baby. Mine seems to like Avent. A key thing to be aware of is the flow of the nipple (no matter which bottle you use). You don't want a flow that is so fast that it 1) overwhelms DB or 2) makes DB frustrated with the "slow" flow of your breast. Here's a link to a site with great info on bottle feeding the breastfed infant:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

I don't have experience with thrush, but kellymom.com also has information on that. It seems like stored milk is ok to use only while you and DB are being treated for thrush, but not for later use. here's the link:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...ssed-milk.html

If you're going to be pumping only for occasional outings without baby, it's a good idea to wait until the thrush clears up. If you were going to be separated from baby on a daily basis and using today's milk for tomorrow, that sort of thing, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. But thrush can be challenging to erradicate, particularly if there are things outside of the norm going on with you or baby. Moms generally find it best to resolve thrush before starting to pump. Another consideration is you need to sterilize or otherwise clean pump parts to kill yeast (it takes very high temps to kill yeast.) Might be more hassle than it's worth.

As for pumping for occasional outings, many moms find it works best to pump on one side while baby nurses on the other. The best time to do this would be in the morning when your supply is naturally at a high point.

Good luck to you! I hope that the thrush is gone soon.

Warmly,
    Karen Smith
    LLL Leader, IL

Smile Re: getting started

RE: GETTING STARTED

I just started pumping not to long agao, my daughter turned two months on the 27th. I found that if I pumop right after she gets done eatting then it does ALOT better than trying to do it like a half hour to an hour. Try it I think it will help you out alot. Oh and when I started pumping I could only get one side to pump for awhile, it may take 10 minuets or so to get it going if you hve that problem to. If not more power to you. Good luck.

My daughter also had thrush around that age, the doctor put her on Nystatin and pumping was not an issue.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for the help!