Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd time mom needs advice

Default 2nd time mom needs advice

Hello all! I need some advice. I am due with my 2nd baby in January and I am desperately trying to decide whether to try breastfeeding again. With my first, I had a really hard time. I had severe nipple pain( I could cry out in pain when she latched on) and then my milk did not come in and I don't even know if I had the colostrum. I went to see a lacation nurse a couple times during the first week because all my baby would do was cry. Anyway, the nurse weighed my baby before and after nursing and she didn't gain anything!!! The lacation nurse told me that I had problems because of the shape of my breasts--small, tublar and spaced far apart. I did get some milk to come in a week after my first was born after taking fenugreek but it was never enough. I would pump and get barely enough to cover the bottom of the bottle. Needless to say, but I gave up after a month of putting her to the breast, then giving formula, and then pumping. I just don't know what to do. Should I go through the same thing and try? Or should I not? I know that colostrum has great benefits but how am I going to know whether I have it or not? This pregnancy is the same as the last---absolutely no breast changes.

Default Re: 2nd time mom needs advice

I don't have any great words of wisdom, but you might try to find an IBCLC. Lactation nurses aren't always highly qualified to give bfing help. If you talk to an IBCLC now she might help you identify realistic expectations and come up with a game plan. I hope you are able to find a way to bf at least some.

Wow! It sounds like you really went through a lot with your first one. Your nervous about trying again, and that is understandable. It sounds like you want to breastfeed, but don't want to be disappointed again.

I'm not sure that the tubal shape of your breast plays a role in your ability to make milk. I've been scouring my books and can't seem to find any information on it. Perhaps a leader may be able to chime in.

According to the Breastfeeding Answer Book, lack of breast growth during pregnancy has not been found to be a risk factor for inadequate milk production.

Have you spoken to your doctor about hormone levels? Hormonal levels play a major role in preparing the breast and triggering milk production (but a less important role in sustaining it). Perhaps if discussed your concerns, they may be able to suggest if a galactogogue (a herbal or prescription medication that helps to produce milk) might be right for you.

It may also be a good idea to find an IBCLC Lactation Consultant before you have the baby. That way you can discuss your concerns before this new baby arrives and discuss a "battle plan." This should probably include getting a hold of an SNS (supplemental nursing system) so that your baby will be doing all her sucking at the breast and not get you stuck in a bottle cycle.

You are right that even if your baby just gets your colostrum, she will benefit greatly. I really admire you for taking the time to research all your options.

As a side note, my mother had low supply issues with my brother and my sister, but not with me. It can vary from child to child. Perhaps this time will be different?
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Hi Mackiesmommy

Some new information does indicate that women with that particular breast shape *may* have trouble breastfeeding. Some mothers who do encounter problems because of this find they are able to produce more milk with subsequent pregnancies.

I'd say it warrants a try again, certainly. Any colostrum and breastmilk you give your baby will benefit, even if you aren't able to exclusively do so. And there's certainly a chance that you'll produce more this time around as well.

I'd second the advice to see an IBCLC as soon as possible. She can give you some tips and ideas on what you can do to get your milk supply off to as good a start as possible.

Please keep us posted!
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

You may also find some interesting reading here http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31
    You will find moms who also have supply issues!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader

While I don't have any specific advice, I would just advise to find out as much as possible about breastfeeding (you're off to a good start!) so that you're best equipped to give it a good go. Certainly a LC would also be a good start.

Good luck to you and your new baby to come!

Lisa

Thank you all for your encouragement!!! I really needed that!! Can someone please tell me what IBCLC means?? I am a newbie and feel silly asking...

It's a board certified lactation consulatant and here's a link on how to find one http://gotwww.net/ilca/. A lot of insurance companies will play at least partially for the services, so it is something worth checking into.

Quote Originally Posted by mackiesmommy View Post
    Thank you all for your encouragement!!! I really needed that!!

That's what LLL is there for! I would also encourage you to get in touch with your local LLL so that if there is a problem and you want to call a leader in addition to the LC, you'll know who it is you are calling. You'll get lots of support and encouragement at meetings as well!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader

Just to let you know that I too really struggled to nurse my first. I have been breastfeeding my second for 8 months now. It takes determination, but I believe you can do it. Line up the help you need now. Best wishes.