Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when will it stop hurting?

Default when will it stop hurting?

My DS will be 6 weeks Monday. We've gotten past the sore nipples, except if he comes off badly of bites or something. They're still tender at times, though. I had very sensitive nipples for the last month or so of pregnancy - could that have something to do with the tenderness now? More importantly, now my breasts hurt! Mostly in the wee hours, especially if he sleeps a little longer than usual, but sometimes even when it's only been three hours. I wake up hard as a rock and in excruciating pain! Recently, he's started going four hours between some daytime feedings and then they hurt too. My mother says it starts to get better after two months - is that about right?

Default Re: when will it stop hurting?

Ouch! I'm sorry you're still dealing with engorgement and its related pain. As your milk production sort of stabilizes to be more quickly responsive to your baby's appetite, this problem should gradually disappear. It can happen on a different schedule for different women, but surely soon for you, as you are already 6 weeks postpartum.

I can remember leaving my son for an evening when he was around 10 weeks old ... It was only for maybe 3 hours total, and I was crawling out of my skin wanting to get home and nurse because my breasts felt so full. A breastfeeding friend told me that soon this wouldn't happen to me at all, and she was right. Give it some time -- but remember, if you're really miserable, it's okay to express just a little milk to get comfortable. Don't pump off a full feeding's worth, but an ounce or so would be fine. I think I would do this especially at night if the discomfort is interfering with my sleep.

--Rebecca

Unfortunatly it can really hurt.
    I have found that a hot shower or a hot (as much as you are comfortable with) compress help a great deal.
    The first time my son slept eight hours, I woke up in so much pain I thought I was going to explode.

It does get better, as for when exactly... you and your little angle will figure it out.

Thanks for the response. It's good to know that it will get better. Some nights, I feel engorged after only three hours! But I don't get that during the day, only fullness. I can't imagine I'll ever be able to let him sleep eight hours!

Hi Pipsmom,
    When I was going through similar stuff with DS starting to sleep for longer periods of time when my supply was big enough to feed the neighborhood (or, at least, it sure felt that way), a lactation consultant suggested that I keep a towel or two or thick cloth diaper on hand during the night and, if I woke up feeling engorged, to hand express just enough to relieve the pressure and discomfortt. The goal isn't to stimulate a let-down and more milk production, but just to ease all the pressure. This helped me alot - and I was dealing with plugged ducts and blebs, too. Your body will adjust to when your baby is wanting milk and will start to make supply to match the timing of demand.
    Good luck!
    jsmom