Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newborn cluster feeding and the human pacifier!

Default Re: Newborn cluster feeding and the human pacifier!

but it seems like no one else can comfort her, but me.
    There's a great thread located here that you may want to read

That said, it's alright to be the sole source of comfort for your baby, especially one that is only 3 weeks old. Try to look at it from your baby's perspective -- it wasn't very long ago that she was nestled snugly in a very warm, very quiet and very soothing environment. Then, one day she was suddenly in a very different environment. You, as her mommy, are the only familiar thing to her. Your breasts provide not only nourishment but comfort as well. You aren't a pacifier. You are a comforter and there's absolutely nothing wrong with a baby forming an attachment to a real live human being over an inanimate or plastic object

Many mom's find that if they can nurse baby in a sling that they've got more mobility and that helps ease those feelings of frustration at not being able to do anything than sit and nurse.

(((HUGS))) You're doing a great job! Trust your body and your baby -- they've got this nursing deal figured out!

I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this and asking these questions! The constant nursing wouldn't be so bad if it was during the day or evening - but in the middle of the night stinks!

I think he spent a couple weeks playing "catch-up" to get back to his birth weight and now we're in the 3 week growth spurt. I am hoping that by the end of this week the constant nursing sessions will subside and we go back to every few hours through the night.

Allen is in a pack-n-play in our bedroom, so he's close by and it's a smallish space. We were swaddling him in the beginning but he seems to like sleeping with his arms out or above his head. He falls asleep on my chest while nursing and he's on his side, maybe he's a side sleeper, who knows.

The feeding maching is calling - gotta go!

Jennifer

Smile Re: Newborn cluster feeding and the human pacifier!

For the first 5 weeks, I slept with dd on the couch. We pushed the ottoman which is slightly higher than the couch next it so I knew she wouldn't roll off. It worked well for us. She seemed to sleep better snuggled next to me. I could nurse lying down and the TV was right there as well. Hang in there! The constant nursings may be overwhelming right now, but before you know it you'll go from worrying if you have enough milk because baby nurses so long to worrying if you have enough milk because baby nurses so efficiently.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Default Co-sleeping on couch -- caution!

Quote Originally Posted by lib_mom
    For the first 5 weeks, I slept with dd on the couch.

There are a lot of options for safe and restful co-sleeping -- but co-sleeping on a couch, especially with a young infant, isn't recommended by any of the experts. With all the cushions on a couch, it's very easy for an infant to experience entrapment and suffocate while the adult is sleeping.

I'm a huge fan of the family bed -- both my stepson and my now-4yo son have benefited greatly from co-sleeping -- so please don't interpret my post as criticism of co-sleeping in general. But like everything else, there are safer ways and riskier ways of doing it, and couches are definitely on the riskier side.

--Rebecca

you will get through it he is wee and does what he needs to. i know it is exhausting my girl was the same. she is almost 10 weeks now. i was told at 3 weeks and 6 weeks it may be a growth spurt, so be tired and proud he is thriving. my wee one nurses only once throughout the night now and its breif, and it sounds crazy but i miss our night feedingS, its was a nice qiet time together. enjoy every second with him as tiring as it is, it likely wont last much longer

Re Cluster Feedings: I have a 6 month old who would cluster feed in evening or night. Often she was filling up on comfort and food and then slept for a long spurt. Luckily for me this was generally in the middle of the night. It wasn't always like this until she settled into a pattern. The cluster feedings can feel exhausting, but since it was about the same time in the evening I was able to acclimate myself to it.

I'd like to share something I heard from another mom - to pacify is to make peaceful. No better thing to be able give to baby. I don't think it's uncommon to feel this way. Oftentimes, it's the impression we have that a little baby should be able to soothe himself. However, sometimes after a long day of caring for a little one and lack of sleep at night can make one feel touched out. Sometimes having a small break while someone cares for the baby a bit can be a blessing. Take a shower, change into new pjs, or close your eyes and stretch out.

Melissa