Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daycare wants more EBM, WWYD?

Default Daycare wants more EBM, WWYD?

I've been sending three 5 oz bottles with my 4 month old, and already was coming up 3 oz short a day....got home last night and now they think she is ready for bigger bottles.....they want me to send three 6 oz bottles, which will leave me 6 oz short a day.

I have tried everything for uping supply, including prescription drugs, fenugreek, oatmeal, water, hospital grade pump, etc......

I am away from my DD from 7:30 - 5.....it seems like a lot for her to drink, but I don't want her starving or crying either..........my daycare provider does burp her every couple of ounces.

It's just hard since I don't have much more control over it. I've seen the kellymom website and what it says she should have during that time frame, but it doesn't seem like even that's enough.

I guess my question is, should I just start sending 2 - 6 oz bottles of breastmilk, and 1 - 6oz bottle of formula? What happens then on the weekends, will she want to drink that much and I won't be producing that much and have to supplement then too? I just don't want to get in a vicious supplementing cycle.......she's already been so fussy nursing when we are together since she now has a strong bottle preference. (and yes, we are on the slow flow nipples).

Just really wish I could've made working and breastfeeding work better, and longer. I guess I should be happy that she got 4 good months of nothing but breastmilk, but it's still depressing.

Default Re: Daycare wants more EBM, WWYD?

I'm sorry to hear that, it must be very frustrating.

And I agree with you - that does seem like a lot of EBM. I send my LO with 10-12 ounces from 9-5.

How many feedings does your LO get a day?

She gets 3 bottles.....approx 1 every 3 hours. I thought about smaller bottles more frequently,not sure if that would make a diff.

Seems like alot ... according to "The Nursing Mother's Companion" baby needs 1 to 1.5 oz per hour away from mom. So if your LO is in day care 9.5 hours that comes to 9.5 to 14.25 oz total, and your LO is currently taking 15 oz. Sometimes its easier to offer a bottle if your LO is fussy or crying? Or maybe your LO is trying to comfort by sucking and needs something else to suck on and not automatically offer a bottle? Our 4.5 mo DS is very sucky right now and currently likes the corner of a blanket for sucking. Sorry to not have real answers ... hope this helps a little!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

If it were me, I would just keep giving her what your body is making. A lot of CP's think that babies need more because when something else is wrong they assume it is hunger (trust me, I have seen it with my own eyes)- especially since there is not as much BM as there would be formula. Diaper output is the best way to tell if your daughter is getting enough. Does the daycare keep up with this for you? I am no expert and I do not have to pump a whole lot but that is what I would do. There is also a forum just for pumping if you scroll down. I am sure you will find some good help there!

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

I would PUSH BACK at the daycare provider! Think about this, if your baby was with you, would she drink 18oz in 8hours? NO! The issue is that daycare providers are not used to BF kids and the way they eat. And they try to bottle feed for everything. Your baby needs to be held and interacted with, not fed continuously! The other problem is that BF kids self regulate, and bottle fed babies don't. When your baby is at your breast, after let down when your breast is emptied, the milk flow slows way down even if your child continues to eat. But there is no slowdown from a bottle unless it's GONE. SO your baby just may continue sucking because the bottle is continuing to be offered. Don't let them tell you what's best for your baby! My son at that age weighed 17lbs and in 8 hours he would be fine with 10oz. Two 5oz bottles. The key was for the person feeding him to know when he was eating like he was hungry vs. just sucking to suck. Your doing great Mama! Let your DCP know that her request is NOT what the baby needs. She needs 2oz every two hours. Based I your post, I think you know this...so I am here to back you up! 15oz in a 8.5 hour day IS PLENTY!

Way too lazy for formula

I am in exactly the same boat you are. My DCP feeds my 4 month old three 6oz bottles a day. I can only pump 16 oz each day. So I had to start supplementing one 2 oz bottle of formula. I thought it was an awful lot for her to eat, but she kept insisting that she was hungry and not satisfied. There have even been days where she has given her three 8 ounces bottles, but not on a daily basis. I think most DCP don't have the time to hold and cuddle a newborn like we do to keep them content. My LO doesn't eat anywhere near that much when she is home with me or staying at a grandmother's house. I just think it is the DCP's way of dealing with her fussyness.

My LO is still getting only BM on the weekends when she is with me. I seem to have plenty of milk to keep her satisfied on the weekends, but I don't think she eats as much and I hold and love on her when I have her. The way I look at is at least most of her milk is coming from me and that is better than nothing.

Keep up the good work you're doing a great job!!!

I have a similar problem just with having a nanny. And I know she's cuddling him and loving him and giving him lots of attention because he's the only one she had to deal with. But I can only pump about 7 oz on a good day while at work, and he's taking in about 11 while I'm gone, so either I add in a pumping session at night, which I can sometimes manage, or I let her add in formula. But I agree with the PP... I'm doing what I can, and weekends are all BM, so most of what he gets, he gets straight from me. Considering all the struggles we had to get here, I'll rest easy.

Do you nurse her at drop off and pick up? If not, that could decrease the total number of ounces your baby would request.

Could you discuss your baby's eating pattern with your DCP? Perhaps ask if baby is held while she is eating the bottle and allowed to pace the feed herself? This is a helpful (non-LLL) resource: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

I'm moving this thread to working for more replies...

Thanks. Our daycare lady lives a block away so I am nursing her right before work and right after work. I have noticed that she isn't eating well when I get her home, I'm guessing because she has just gotten a big bottle at 3:30-3:45 and I am home with her at 5. I'm worried this will cause a supply issue as well since she usually just falls asleep after 5 minutes of nursing and isn't interested in nursing as soon as I get home.