Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 week baby is not gaining weight

Default 8 week baby is not gaining weight

My 8 week baby's birth weight is 7 lb 3 oz ..Now her weight is 8 lbs.After birth she lost 13 % of birth weight..Along with breastfeeding i gave formula through cup,tube and syringe during her first 2weeks..In first 2 weeks she gained 1 ounce per day and she was at 7 lbs 7 ozs....After the third week i stopped giving formula..i used to nurse for every one hour...But the baby used to sleep after 20/30 mins after nursing in my lap itself..But that is not a deep sleep..Even if i move a little bit she used woke up.....at her 5 th week, we had dr check up...surprasingly she was at same 7 lb 7 ozs..i was panic..then again i started giving formula of 90 ml in the afternoon and night..other times i was breastfeeding.......but now my breasts are becoming very "hard", paining a lot...when i pump i am getting 70 to 80 ml of milk.yesterday when i weigh the baby she was at 8lbs...I am not at all happy with my baby's weight...Please tell me what need to be done to make my baby to gain weight......please .

Default Re: 8 week baby is not gaining weight

Are you giving her forumla instead of your milk? If you're going to give her a bottle, have you tried giving her your milk instead? Have you met with a lactation consultant? They can weigh her in their office before and after a feeding to determine how much she is getting with each feeding. Is part of the problem that she's too groggy to nurse well? Have you tried removing layers (no blanket, no socks)? Is the doctor concerned with her weight gain? Is she healthy otherwise? Does she have lots of wet diapers and a couple of dirty diapers every day?

My son was 5 pounds at birth and 4 pounds 11 ounces at his lowest. We got stuck using nipple shields for 8 weeks, and he gained about an ounce a day during that time. Once we figured out how to nurse without them, he started piling on the weight. Now he's 9 months old and 22 pounds. Rough starts smooth out with time and patience.

Other than weight gain everything was normal with my baby..She is having 6-8 wet diapers and 1-2 dirty diapers ..Now I am giving formual twice in a day...90 ml in the afternoon and 120 ml in the night......Othertimes i am giving breastmilk i.e nursing around 6-8 times a day for about half an hour per each feeding.....I stopped using syringe, cup and tube feeding because it was little bit painful process, i am using bottle........I did consult lactation consultant and expalined the same....they told me to continue the same thing. i heard that brestfed babies gain less weight compared to bottle fed......IS IT rIGHT?
    Am i doing anyything wrong ? really i am very upset with my baby's weight ?
    please tell me what needs to be done

I think I would meet with an IBCLC and have her watch you nurse. If your baby isn't latching on well she might not be able to transfer milk effeciently (especially since it sounds like you have lots of milk). I would also try to get her to the breast more if you can.

Breastfed babies don't always gain less weight than formula-fed. In fact, my bf DS gained weight VERY quickly, and was chunkier than my twins (and my twins were term babies--see their birthweights below). Breastmilk is VERY nutritious, and better digested and absorbed than formula, so please don't make the mistake of thinking that you need to go to formula in order to give your baby more "nutrition" to thrive.

Lisa

I definitely second the recommendation to go see an IBCLC in person. It could be that your baby is not latched on correctly or has an inefficient suck, which can prevent her from getting adequate amounts of milk at the breast. I also agree that it may help to try to get baby to the breast more often. Babies generally need to nurse a total of 8-12 times in 24 hours. For a slow gaining baby, it is good to aim closer to 12 rather than 8. If possible, you can try pumping and giving expressed breast milk for your supplemental feedings rather than or in addition to some formula. This will help to maintain your milk supply if baby isn't nursing well. Normal weight gain for a breastfed baby after getting back to birth weight is about 4-8 ounces per week in the first 3 months. It is highly likely that you can overcome these early difficulties and go on to have a great breastfeeding experience with your daughter. But, your chances of success are much higher with some professional, in person help.

My lo is now 11 weeks and I went through the same thing about her weight. I was going crazy. The dr. had me pumping and putting suppliments in the bottles. I should have got help with a lactation nurse and join the la leche leage sooner than I did. I figured it out what my problem was was when she was 6 weeks on my own. It was the way I had her latched on. I wish I would of found out sooner. Get help! You will feel much better. Good luck and keep up the good work. Don't give up.