Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: uh oh..I think I may have a problem

Default uh oh..I think I may have a problem

Hello, ladies.
    DD is 6 weeks old and has been supplemented with formula since her first week appt. I could just kick myself for following their advice. They told me she needed to be supplemented with formula versus expressed breast milk because 'it would give her a bit more of what she needs'. She weighed 5.12 at birth and went down to 5.5 and then back up to 5.8 by the end of the first week. They were concerned that she hadn't gained all of her weight back. In retrospect I think she would have been FINE with supplements of breast milk.
    Anyway, we were working on slowly cutting out the formula and increasing my supply, but now she is hitting a growth spurt and we're back to square one. I'm having a REALLY difficult time because I am finding it hard to find the extra time to pump..I also have a 3 year old and a 23 month old and a 10 month old puppy lol..DH works 12 hour days 6 days a week right now as well.
    I was using the SNS, but DS would come along and play with it and pull it off
    I'm just getting frustrated because I know what I need to do, but can't seem to do it!! aargh! Has anyone been in this situation before?? I feel the grey hairs sprouting..I don't want to give up nursing and I really don't want her having the formula, either!! She will nurse and then still suck down 4 oz
    Help!!

Tiffany

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: uh oh..I think I may have a problem

I'm not really sure, but instead of pumping couldn't you breastfeed an extra time to get your milk supply up and to satisfy your hungry baby? I feel for you because I found pumping difficult as well, and I have only one child! When my son went through growth spurts he nursed often, sometime every hour for much of the day. If you let your daughter nurse as much as she wanted to, then your milk supply would naturally increase.
    Last edited by ericsmom; March 4th, 2006 at 03:47 PM.

Hi and yes, that's what I've been doing..the problem is i think now she is so used to being supplemented afterward that she gets sooo upset after nursing if she doesn't get the extra formula. I was told by the lactation consultant to pump a little extra during the day just to help to increase the supply..I may just have to settle for doing it when DH gets home at night.

Hi Tiffany,
    Just wondering how things are going for you. Any updates?