Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What is the longest BF toddler????

Default What is the longest BF toddler????

Just out of curiosity.....

I never planned on this, and because I occasionally value sleep more than discomfort, she is 37 months old today and still BF to go to sleep, if she is sick, and the first thing in the morning, and whenever she sees me naked.
    Seriously, it is like she is obsessed with them. God forbid I change after work, or shower with her around. I always thought she would get disinterested with this, of course I used BF'ing as a cure for everything, pretty much a "please stop crying, here's a boob" type of thing....so, I blame myself for this. I have no support around here. Everyone thinks I should have stopped Bf'ing her at 3 months. It is only over the last few months I am seriously considering weaning her, but at this point, I do not know how. I have tried rocking or back patting substitutes, if she does fall asleep on her own, it always results in her waking in the middle of the night, so then I get discouraged because if I just nurse her to sleep, then she will sleep the night thru, so there is little motivation for me to change the status quo. I have tried a few other things, and none of those seem to help either. I guess I am not sure if I really want to ween her. I am curious as to if she will eventually grow out of it. Although it is funny to ask her if they are empty, and watch her nod yes or no with that gleeful milky smile on her face. Btw, hubby is of no consistant useful help here, Patience is not his best trait. Any comments are appreciated!

Smile Re: What is the longest BF toddler????

Hi there,
    Mine is 22mths and still going strong. My husband just the other day said some hurtful things about bf. He just up and expected me to wean ds and of course he isn't going to help. so we agreed to do it until 3 yrs of age. My lll leader says they grow out of it but I also have no support for bf other than her and this forum so here goes my advice. If you aren't ready don't do it. It sounds as if your baby knows when she needs it and when she doesn't. I also got the impression that she is pretty already much weaned from it and I'm sure she'll continue. You might try asking her when she wants to nurse when she isn't tired like when she's just bored if she wants some juice or water or is she hungry. Alot of the time my little one just wants some attention so I try to segway him into reading a book, taking a bath, doing bubbles or eating or drinking etc. I also am bad about offering the boob for practically everything but hey it works it seems to cure any ouie or booboo and calms a temper tantrum down most times. I bet you'll know when you are ready and then You will seriously persue it then, or your baby will lead the way. It is so much easier to let it happen gradually I think but do what you think is best and I hope I could help you out some. Thanks for sharing!

Default Re: What is the longest BF toddler????

I've just got a second this a.m., but have you seen the Extended Breastfeeding forum here? http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26
    Also a good resource is _Mothering Your Nursing Toddler_ by Norma Bumgarner. She has chapters on nursing for each age. For more about weaning you could try _How Weaning Happens_ by Diane Bengson.
    Mary

There was an article in a parenting magazine (don't remember which one) on a mother that breastfed her 3-4 kids until they were 5 or so. It was a positive article, actually. Anyway, the mother did the child-led weaning to the definition....when her kids stopped asking to nurse, then she was done, and not before.

While it's not for everyone out there, just know that there are others that go for a long period of time.

Lisa

Extended BF & AP news video from Europe >
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9ecQC7tv7A

& on Dr. Phil there was a mom who BF'd her 5 & 7 year olds....
    (I didn't see, just heard about it & read about it on his site)
    ~ Tiffany

Child Passenger Safety Technician
    Home/unschooling mama to my Kindergartner!
    Leila Maribelle self-weaned at 4 years old....

Right behind ya. Just over 32 months. I could totally see her nursing until 5, which is great for those families who can do it! But we are now working on weaning. I'm down to 2 times a day and dd wants to wean before christmas because she wants a weaning party. I don't think either of us will be ready by Christmas and I'm very happy with the 2X/day right now. I know three adults who weaned when they were 3. They are all very different and wonderful people. I DON'T know any children over 3 currently nursing because: 1. the mothers of the two older nurslings I did know got pregnant and nursing became too painful and 2. older nursing couples are more private. I know a daycare director who had one child in the center who was still nursing at bedtime at 7 years old. She told me this very matter-of-fact like it was unique but not surprising. I covered my baby's ears when she said it and said, "Don't give her any ideas!!"

My dd goes through phases where she's obsessed with nursing. If I'm consistant about her limits she's a little less assertive about nursing whenever the craving hits her.

The biggest issue has not been her love for nursing but fitting it into larger society.. and even our little family. I'd love a world where little kids can just pop on whenever and where ever... in fact I think my daughter would want it less if life were like that. For a while it was more like a cross between a nasty habit and a special treat. That's when she wanted to nurse the most.

When she'd cry to nurse whenver daddy came home and asked for a kiss, or scream for nursies in hope of recovering from a public tantrum, it just makes breastfeeding look like the problem (as opposed to the tantrum or my husband's prickly beard). There isn't anything wrong with a nursing child. And there isn't really anything unique about a child who needs help falling asleep either.

As far as falling asleep goes, I moved the bedtime nursing to the couch. I said she could nurse on the couch with me and then I'd cuddle her to sleep in her bed. This was after we nightweaned. Nightweaning was about a night and a half of tears and screaming. Months later she was on board to fall asleep like a big girl. But guess what? She still wakes regularly and now "needs" cuddles instead of nursing. A weaned Abbey is the same Abbey.

One thing that has worked well in the past, but not regularly (we aren't consistant enough) is to read her two books in bed and then send dad up to read to her. Then he sends me... she's fallen asleep between visits. To me, this was like Ferberizing without tears. After weaning is complete, I think I'll make this the regualr routine so that she does get used to falling asleep alone.

I was three when my mom weaned me.

My mil nursed all of her kids until they weaned themselves, dhs little brother nursed until he was four. At least I know I have support for extended bf.

Nursed my twins until dd was born, they were five and a half and one still asked occassionally. I am nursing my dd now and she will be four in two weeks, pregnant again and trying to discourage her but she has a plan! She told me she is willing to stop except for bedtime and then when the baby comes and my milk comes in then she and the baby are both going to nurse. Twins told me the same thing but by the time dd was born they were so busy with other things they rarely took an interest.

Do what works for you. Given a choice I think most three year olds would not willingly give up nursing.

I am still breastfeeding at 28 months. I have thought about weaning, but I can't stand hearing a child crying to be breastfed so I said forget it. When she wants to stop she will.