Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: one year old -- now what?

Smile one year old -- now what?

First, I want to say congrats to all of the other moms on this forum whose babies hit the one year mark this month. What satisfaction to make it this far with breastfeeding! My son Jeremy is still nursing (or getting ebm) 4-5 times a day, and a couple of times at night. He's also getting two solid meals a day (yogurt and fruit mid-morning, veggies/grain/protein in the evening) in addition to some snacks.

So my question is, what next? I'm not going to wean now, but I'm assuming that I'll gradually be increasing the amount of solids in a day and beginning to let solids replace some of the breastmilk. I'm also returning to teaching full time in January and that's going to cause some readjustment in his routine. Right now he gets breastmilk before most solid food, which does diminish his appetite for those foods. While he likes a range of foods (especially lentils, bananas, crackers, bread with hummus, sweet potato, sometimes broccoli) I wouldn't exactly say that he's an enthusiastic self-feeder (except maybe for lentils). He picks, nibbles, plays, throws overboard. When he's hungrier, he's more enthusiastic. He'll usually eat more if I grind some of it up after letting him self-feed for a while.

So my question is -- how do I help him make that transition from mostly playing with food to actually eating enough of it to be sustaining? I'm curious as to what strategies you've used (or plan to use) to make that transition.

I've been giving him a little more food in the mornings (mostly cooked regular oatmeal that I let him eat with his fingers), but so far not enough to diminish his appetite for the before-nap nursing session (usually between 8-9 am). Does anyone have any suggestions as to possible daily feeding schedules or menus? I looked at the LLL book ""Whole Food for Babies and Toddlers" and their sample menus (p. 49) are way more than I am currently feeding him during the day. There's no way he would eat that much unless I dropped a nursing session or so. Is it time to think about that?

Thanks for any insights!

Annie

Default Re: one year old -- now what?

Wow! It sounds like you are doing a really great job and congrats to you and your LO on "making it" one year.
    About solids: I don't think you have to start pushing solids and cutting back BM. My DD is 15 months and she eats about 3 meals and 2 snacks a day, self-fed for the most part. Therefore, she has one meal (lunch) each day before which she doesn't BF. She almost always BFs before breakfast and dinner.
    Also, her food intake really varies quite widely-sometimes a lot ends up in her tummy and sometimes a lot ends up on the floor! Instead of trying to make her eat more, I just trust that she will eat when she is hungry.
    If you want to encourage more solids-eating for any number of reasons, one way to do that would be to offer solids before BF at one or more mealtimes. But, IMO if your LO is happy and healthy, and you continue offering healthy food choices regularly, you don't need to worry about pushing solids any more aggressively.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanks Molly! I guess I have a hard time trusting sometimes -- myself and my baby. So I feel like I should be giving "more" even though all signs are good -- he's a healthy, active, curious, joyful child. Well, and also I just went to the ped for his 12-month visit and she thinks he should be up to three meals and is surprised that I am still bfing so much. I'm a little envious of the moms here who are doing the straight child led approach, which I didn't hear of until several months into solids, when he was already used to spoon feeding (he does always start out self-feeding finger foods, and also takes the spoon part of the time). I'd like to move toward more consistent self-feeding, but he just doesn't eat that much. I guess that's where the "trusting your baby" comes in.

I guess I'm also a little anxious about next semester, when I go back to teaching. Even though I'm an academic and have flexible hours, I'll be a bit overwhelmed and have less time with him during the day. I'm soooooo tired of pumping and I'd like to slow that down, even while keeping up nursing at home. So that probably means letting the babysitter give him more solids while I'm gone. I guess if he's hungry when I'm gone, he'll eat the solids more enthusiastically (I hope so, and not keep me up all night catchng up with breastmilk). Anyway, that's why the one year mark seems like it's heralding a change in eating patterns, rather than a slow, gradual transition to more solids.

Sorry for the rambling post, I'm feeling a little emotional tonight. Must be all the birthdays around here today.....

Annie

Quote Originally Posted by annie View Post
    I'm a little envious of the moms here who are doing the straight child led approach, which I didn't hear of until several months into solids, when he was already used to spoon feeding (he does always start out self-feeding finger foods, and also takes the spoon part of the time). I'd like to move toward more consistent self-feeding, but he just doesn't eat that much. I guess that's where the "trusting your baby" comes in.

I'm soooooo tired of pumping and I'd like to slow that down, even while keeping up nursing at home. So that probably means letting the babysitter give him more solids while I'm gone. I guess if he's hungry when I'm gone, he'll eat the solids more enthusiastically (I hope so, and not keep me up all night catchng up with breastmilk).
    Annie
    You're welcome, and no worries with the "rambling." I do it all the time. I am in the same boat with learning about child-led a little late in the game. I started spoon-feeding my DD at 6 months old. My DD has really gotten a lot better at self-feeding in the past 2-3 months. I think practice makes perfect! I actually think of BFing as our "nutritional insurance."
    I also understand not wanting to be a slave to the pump anymore. I don't pump much at all anymore, and I think you have the right idea that LOs will start eating more solids if they aren't taking as much BM during the day. I have to tell you, though, that my DD is a reverse cycler. Lately, however, she has only been waking once in the night and once at around 6-7 a.m. to BF (this is an improvement for us). I hadn't really thought about it, but her decreased night waking may be partially correlated to her increasing efficiency at solids-eating during the day.
    Now I'm rambling, but I just wanted to say that I have been in a similar situation recently and share my thoughts.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I really appreciate your thoughts, Molly! That gives me a little more confidence in embracing the changes of the next few months. But I hope he doesn't start reverse cycling. He's up enough at night as it is. We just started co-sleeping (at 11 months!) and while I'm getting more sleep (and some nice cuddle time), I do have that "on call" kind of feeling. Well, it's better than when I used to fall asleep in the nursing chair every night. Good luck as she moves on to whatever the next stage is!

Annie

I really just try to do what feels right to me. When we are together, she eats when we eat (because she is a mooch and wants whatever I am eating and because we all sit at the table and have family meals). Mon-Thurs she is at the sitters and the sitter feeds her 2 meals (after she has shared dh's breakfast) and 2 bottles. She is there for about 7 hours. I have no idea how she is feeding her at this point, and I don't really care. I know what she eats, but not how. I don't know if she gets the bottle first or not, none of that. At home, I always nurse her before solids, for the most part. There are times when she is hungry and I need her to wait (not at home but when we are out) to nurse and I can tide her over with solids, but I still really want her to get the nutrients from the breastmilk, b/c we are not giving vitamins yet.

She eats whatever we eat for the most part. We had lasagna the other night and she ate that and loved it. I made a salad that she loved, and I put a touch of O&V on it and she just ate it up.

How old is you lo?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Hi Erin, thanks for responding! Jeremy is four days older than your Haylee (born Dec 10 2005). Happy birthday to them both ! So far he's had a sitter part time (4-6 hours 3x a week) plus his dad taking him two afternoons a week, but that's going to increase beginning next month when I go back to teaching. Part of what I'm wrestling with is how to get more variety into his meals. The problem is that a couple of months ago we traded family dinners for an early bedtime (I try to get him down by 7pm). I found I couldn't manage getting both him and us fed on top of the bath and bedtime routine without practically gasping down my dinner as he got fussier and fussier. So usually I'll get home around 5pm, nurse, and throw together something to feed him while my partner is getting dinner. Then we eat after he's in bed, which means we can have a calmer conversation (and digest our food) but that he misses out on the family dinner experience.

So I'm a little stuck in a rut -- I usually start him with some kind of complex carb (e.g., whole wheat toast with hummus) while I quickly heat up leftovers if we have them and steam some veggies (usually broccoli or string beans) and give him some on his tray. But since I'm scrambling, sometimes I don't have anything fresh and I crack open a jar of Earth's Best sweet potatos or peas or squash (or something) and mix it with what ever else I have for variety and texture -- avocado, ground up veggies, ground up lentils, homemade soup, a little EB baby cereal, whatever. Sometimes he loves this mush (and tries to feed himself with the spoon) but recently he's been rejecting it.

I want to move toward less mush and more table food. Haven't tried salad yet (which is odd because I'm a salad fanatic), so maybe I'll do that soon! He does like his veggies dipped in olive oil. Have you given spinach? I eat a lot of spinach but I was wondering how best to prepare it, since spinach gets a little funky when cooked. Also, I haven't done corn or tomatos or citrus yet as I was waiting until he turned one (he did however have scrambled whole eggs on his birthday, which he seemed to enjoy). Does anyone have experience with these foods?

Annie

My DD loves corn (especially on the cob) and tomatoes. Also, another option for veggies that I like (fast and easy) is frozen veggies. Not quite as good as fresh, but much better than canned IMO and you can just pour a few out of the bag into a dish, put a little water in, and mic it for a minute and it's a great finger food.
    DD pretty much eats whatever we do also. She is a pretty adventurous eater.

Molly

Yes, I'm doing frozen broccoli and green beans sometimes because it's so easy (and its easier to get these organic from our small local health food store). I've also just realized that he's more interested in the veggies if I give them to him before the carbohydrates (like crackers or bread) that he seems to favor. Today he downed a whole broccoli floret and spent a long time gnawing on pieces of yellow sqash before beginning to toss them overboard.

In any case, this exchange has made me feel better about taking the transition slowly and gradually, trying to follow his lead and having fun with new foods. Hopefully we can start working in some family meals as well....

Annie