Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Looking for encouragement

Default Looking for encouragement

I had a beautiful baby boy 9 days ago and am having a hard time with the feeding schedule of my little guy.

My son feeds all the time... it seems like. He was 6 lbs in the hospital and dropped a little and at the Dr's his weight went up to 6.35. I know I have milk and pumping is going well... I am just having a very hard time with night time feedings and the sleeping issue. During awake time, my son wants to feed the majority of the time and it's tiring me out.

Will this get better? I know I am doing well at the feeding but I just feel like he wants to eat all the time and I am just concerned.

I need positive reinforcement....

Default Re: Looking for encouragement

It will definately get better. We all felt like this and is in fact what led me here. The first 6 weeks or so can be difficult. Just make yourself a camp on the couch or a comphy chair and nurse away. keep everything you need right there. Try to accept and embrace it. This article helped me.

Best wishes

my son woke up every two hours and nursed, like a swiss clock, for what seemed like forever! It helped a lot having him in the co-sleeper. I'd nurse him, roll over and fall back asleep. it made nursing him so much easier...

You are doing one of the hardest jobs right now. Babies will often nurse very often in the early days, both for physical nourishment and for emotional comfort. That is great news for your milk production, but it does take a toll emotionally and physically for mothers (and dads!) at first. Some mothers find taking some time during the day for a brief walk outside, with their doctor's okay, or a shower alone can help to rejuvenate them enough to get back to the work of mothering. Eating nutritious foods often and drinking water to thirst can help a mother feel well. Leaving dishes, laundry and meals to one's partner, if possible, or friend (or making some adjustments) is another way to free mother up to do what she does in the early weeks: nurse and rest! Talking with other new mothers can be very helpful, so you're in a great place. Try checking out your local La Leche League or other breastfeeding supportive group sometime. It can be a great place to receive the validation and information new mothers crave.

Many new mothers go through somewhat of a "jolt" into a new reality they never imagined: that nursing and caring for a baby could be so overwhelming and exhausting. Know you are not alone, that we mothers understand and "have been there" and you will come through okay! When your baby's needs have been met in this way of nursing, he will be a confident little person with the assurance mom responds with love and attention to his needs. Some mothers do find that after the first few weeks or months, baby nurses a bit less often. Oftentimes, mothers find they have adjusted or other things have changed and they feel better able to cope with all the changes in daily routine. One idea some mothers find helpful, especially for babies who love to snuggle and nurse often, is a soft baby carrier, like a sling. This way, baby can be worn close to mother and even nurse discreetly while mother shops, cleans or takes a walk (that counts for exercise!). For some information on babywearing, this page lists some benefits.

Warmly,

Eve Erickson
    La Leche League Leader

Congratulations mommy! What you are experiencing is so natural! I have twins and had to go through it! Boy was I exhausted! But they are 4 months now and have been pretty steady eaters. I try not to kill myself with a schedule for BFing ..... or anything! You will see it change again around 6 or 8 wks. It sounds like long time but it really isn't. Keep in mind that BF babies eat more often then ff ones. Forget about being on a "schedule" right now. Just feed your little boy when he wants to eat....wouldn't you hate for someone to tell you when you are hungry or not, or what time you HAVE to eat? LOL! You're pumping too?!! Sounds like you are off to a great start. Read through some of the other INFANT BFing threads...I'm sure you will see a lot of moms going through the same thing as you. Sounds like you are a determined mom and a blessing to your lo. Just focus on you baby right now, he is so new and needs so much attention from you. It's ok to do nothing else!

Thank you all for your words of wisdom!

Can I ask if there is a reason for pumping? Just breastfeeding is enough work at this point. It also really helped for me to take naps while DS was sleeping or someone else was cuddling with him for a while. The first few weeks are rough, but yes, it does get much better as you get used to it and get caught up on sleep. You are also heading into a growth spurt at 10 days to 2 weeks, so don't be surprised if you REALLY feel like you are nursing all the time.

I just want to throw in another word of encouragement and a . The best thing you can do right now is continue to BF as much as your little son needs and eventually he will start spacing feedings out (as his stomach grows bigger, his suckling becomes more efficient, etc.), although growth spurts and teething can cause temporary "relapses" into frequent nursing.
    Some people find it helpful to think of the first few months of a newborn's life as the "fourth trimester," when really the baby is still just as dependent on you as he was in the womb, when he was snuggled up to you and received nourishment from the placenta 24-7! This is a big adjustment for him!
    Obviously it is for you too, and so here's another big and a pat on the back too! It will get better and in a few weeks or so you will be so happy you kept it up.
    Welcome to the boards, and congrats on your new LO!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on