Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pumping

Default pumping

i have a 2mth old and when i pump i only get 1/2oz i have a 5yr old borrowed medela pump in style....i am taking funegreek 3x's a day and have been for about a month my breasts feel fuller but i havent been able to pump more than that the whole time since baby's been born...could it be the pump?????
    or is it me???

Default Re: pumping

Do you need the milk for something specific like going back to work?

I ask that because some moms just don't let down for pumps very well. I have know several moms who have nourished their babies just fine at the breast but could not get a lot of milk when pumping.

Getting 1/2 oz is not an indication of low supply, necessarily. Does that make sense?

So, as I said, unless you need the milk for something I wouldn't worry about it.

If you dc is growing on your milk then you are doing great!

And yes, it could be the pump. If the pump was used heavily by the previous owner it could just be worn out. Pumps are not meant to last a real long time, but some work longer than others.

HTH!

i just wanted to at least pump enough to not have to use any formula...to supplement w/my own bm would be ideal....i would be so thrilled if i could at least do this.....i was thinking of renting a pump to see what should i rent...???? and then if that is the case i will purchace a new pis....do you think this is a good idea...and another question how long should i pump...iv heard 10min and iv heard 15.?????

heres a link about choosing a pump
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pump.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBpumping.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html

you might want to check out your local lll group, talking to somebody in person will help.

Cool Re: pumping

so, i finally decided to give my stressed out life a break for the babys sake, i am pumping every 3hours....for 15 min to try to build my supply...nursing a little bit before bottle feeds and nursing at night as well so far my supply has gone up not dramatically but i am pumping over 1oz each pump before it was half that this is day 5 of this routine....just wondering if my supply will keep growing and growing or what? i just am thinking that baby isnt a good nurser cause my supply never increased w/her using the lact-aid...she seems way more content cause it only takes her 15min to eat instead of 60-90min....i have much more time to enjoy her....we are still supplementing w/formula obviously but this is so much less stress on me its unbeleivable....i have come to terms with my body and just put the babys needs first....we dont have to worry about her weight anymore and she seems super happy....as well as going through a growth spurt....but is this going to keep pushing my supply?

Yes, your supply should keep growing. Keep putting baby to breast first, then supplementing after. I would work on cutting out the supplemental feeds, too (IMO).

Another note on breastpumps: I had letdown difficulties at times, and would only pump small amounts, even after pumping for 20 minutes. I had the best luck if I pumped both breasts at the same time. It's a pain to set up, but once I got it set up, it was not only faster, but I letdown easier and pumped so much more. May not work for you, but something to try.

Lisa

Smile Re: pumping

i am using a rented medela lactina pumping both sides...i just purchased larger nipple shields cause i think the standard 24cm was pinching a bit so i moved up to the 27cm im hoping this will help a bit at least....i am just happy that my baby is growing like crazy and seems super happy every day so i do want to exclusily bf but i have worked so hard and made only baby steps towards my goal....my main goal is to have a super happy baby...and i do so i feel great about that!

Cool Re: pumping

is it true that is should stick to a schedule when pumping....i try to pump at least every 3 hours during the day and usually the same at night unless im super tired and then i go for one or 2 times...but is it nessesary to use a schedule????? im confused about this...and this is my sched. now 1230pm 230pm and every two hours till 1230am and they switch to every three hours until we are back to 1230pm and start over again...is this a good choice or should i be doing it every 3hours all day long??? i am pumping for 15min each time as well...should this help or what?

Sounds like things are much better in your house!

I have been away and am just checking things over here.

So to answer you question about pumping schedules, no, it is not terribly important to follow the same exact schedule everyday. If you can look at the day as 24 hours long and figure out what you goals are for that time period, then you can decide when to fit your pumping sessions in. They don't necessarily have to be at the same time every day.

Hope things continue to improve!

the size of the shield does not depend on breast size right..i have small breasts b's should i be using small shields?