Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Period while nursing 2

Default Period while nursing 2

I'm writing this thread with a similar situation as Graciesmom. I started my period 60 days after my son Isaiah was born. (last Sunday) It lasted until yesterday (Friday) and was a little lighter than normal with no cramping. ( I usually don't have much cramping anyways.) But now I'm really worried about the possibility of getting pregnant. My husband and I don't use birthcontrol for religious reasons and while I would love another baby, I'm extremely worried about what this would do to my milk. I love nursing my son exclusively and don't want it to end due to decreased milk supply or change in taste. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Period while nursing 2

You can always look into natural family planning. TCOYF.com used to be a good site for that. I used it to get pg with my first , but I know of several women who use it to NOT get pregnant.

Yes, that is what we're attempting to do, but that's how we got pregnant with Isaiah. My fertility signs are very hard to follow, and now they'll be even harder since I can't take my temp ( since I don't regularly get 4 straight hrs of sleep).

Bummer about getting your period so quickly postpartum. Mine came back 12 weeks to the day after giving birth -- the same day that my son caught his first cold -- and I felt SO gypped.

Anyway. If you don't want to get pregnant and don't want to use artificial forms of birth control .. and if you know natural family planning isn't a good option for you ... well, there's always abstinence. It's a good way to avoid pregnancy without using birth control, no?

Seriously, though -- this sounds like quite a dilemma, and I'm sorry that you have found yourself in this position. Good luck making the best decision for yourself and your family.

--Rebecca

Yes...I suppose there's always abstinence. but perhaps I can turn this question around...if I DO continue and get pregnant, how long before it affects my milk?

hmmm you know, I am not sure! Maybe you can search the archives on this site..I have met a couple of women who nursed still when they were pregnant. I am not sure if it varies or not.