Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding not satisfying 10 day old

Default Breastfeeding not satisfying 10 day old

I have a 10 day old baby and we have been struggling with breastfeeding since she was born. First she wasn't latching on and not getting much milk judging by her weight loss and lack of sufficient amount of wet diapers/stools. I then started to feed her pumped breast milk only so that I could keep track of how much she was eating during each feed. Now that I feel like she is gaining weight I would like to add back breast feeding. We have actually improved our latch and she appears to be doing well feeding on each breast for approximately 15 minutes each. The problem is when I give her pumped milk(2.5 ounces every 3 hours) she is satisfied after the feeding. When I breast feed her even though she seems to be doing well after only 15-20 minutes after she eats she appears to still be hungry-if I offer her a bottle of pumped milk she will then immediately drink the whole 2.5 ounces. So I am confused why she may not be getting enough from the breast alone and am getting discouraged about one day being able to mainly breastfeed her. I have good milk production and during breastfeeding I can hear her swallowing so I not sure what the problem is. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Breastfeeding not satisfying 10 day old

I understand from other threads that just because you offer a bottle and she drinks it, it doesn't necessarily mean she's hungry. I know, it sounds weird, but sometimes babies comfort suck, and maybe your LO is sucking on the bottle because it's there....

I'm sure some others will chime in with some more specific advice, but I think if you continue to just offer the breast, you will be able to satisfy your LO.

Lisa

Of course she wants more after 15-20 minutes! you are her mama- her entire world. Have you considered too that it takes real jaw work to get milk from a breast? Bottles are easy. She may be a little out of practice, give her more time on each breast, your doing great!

Congratulations on your little girl! It's true, babies like to comfort suck as well and it is perfectly normal for babies that young to cluster feed, where it seems they are nursing constantly. Trust me, the more you nurse, the more milk you will make. It takes a commitment from you to breastfeed everytime she demands it, even when you think she cant possibly want me...she probably does! It will get easier over time, but at this age, you just have to nurse nurse nurse and nurse some more

10 days to 2 weeks is a good time for a growth spurt. She needs to be at the breast a lot during this time so she can tell your body to make more milk. Ditch the bottles and trust your wonderful body. You can keep an eye on diapers to make sure she is getting enough (at least 5-6 wet and 2-3 poopy a day.)

I can't find where I read it right now, but I have seen that basically there is a reflex that happens when you give a baby a bottle. That isn't a good measure of if a baby is getting enough.

Thanks for all the support. I have regained my shattered confidence. I've been feeding her mainly breast today around the clock(sometimes even every hour) and she seems much happier. Just going to take it one day at a time. I never imagined something as "natural" as breastfeeding could be so difficult.
    Thanks again
    -limabean

Quote Originally Posted by limabean View Post
    I have a 10 day old baby and we have been struggling with breastfeeding since she was born. First she wasn't latching on and not getting much milk judging by her weight loss and lack of sufficient amount of wet diapers/stools. I then started to feed her pumped breast milk only so that I could keep track of how much she was eating during each feed. Now that I feel like she is gaining weight I would like to add back breast feeding. We have actually improved our latch and she appears to be doing well feeding on each breast for approximately 15 minutes each. The problem is when I give her pumped milk(2.5 ounces every 3 hours) she is satisfied after the feeding. When I breast feed her even though she seems to be doing well after only 15-20 minutes after she eats she appears to still be hungry-if I offer her a bottle of pumped milk she will then immediately drink the whole 2.5 ounces. So I am confused why she may not be getting enough from the breast alone and am getting discouraged about one day being able to mainly breastfeed her. I have good milk production and during breastfeeding I can hear her swallowing so I not sure what the problem is. Any suggestions?
    My baby is 2.5 months and STILL does this! He sucks his fists about an hour after the meal and wants more. Other than this, does your baby sleep well? Is she fussy during or after meals? She might be crying for more food if she has reflux, instead of crying because of hunger. My baby has reflux and cries to have some milk just to cover his throat after meals. The breastmilk soothes the throat when the acid starts to want to come back up. Just put her back on the breast even if she seems to fight it, and then swaddle her and walk her around, and then rock her to sleep. This is the combination that works for me and my baby when he does that.

Quote Originally Posted by limabean View Post
    Thanks for all the support. I have regained my shattered confidence. I've been feeding her mainly breast today around the clock(sometimes even every hour) and she seems much happier. Just going to take it one day at a time. I never imagined something as "natural" as breastfeeding could be so difficult.
    Thanks again
    -limabean
    I remember thinking the same thing. Breastfeeding is truly a learned art! In other times and places, women grew up watching their moms, aunts, cousins, and sisters breastfeed. They had a built in support system and knew the difficulties that could occur. Unfortunately, we live in a society where this is not common.

Keep up the good work mama. It sounds like you've figured out the solution to your problems by keeping your little one on your breast as much as possible. Many moms take advantage of the first 6 weeks post partum and do nothing but nurse, sleep, drink (lots of WATER!), and eat (lots of great little healthy snacks like yogurt, fresh veggies, oatmeal, etc.). It's ok to let the housework go and accept only help from others that fosters your breastfeeding relationship.

Congrats on beginning a beautiful journey! There may be bumps, but it's well worth it in the end!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Glad to hear things are going better. It isn't unusual to have to nurse every hour or so during a growth spurt and during certain times of the day. Breastfeeding does eventually get so much easier!
    Last edited by I-Man's Momma; December 13th, 2006 at 08:00 PM. Reason: typo