Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I be worried about marathon sleeping sessions?

Question Should I be worried about marathon sleeping sessions?

My dd is now 14 weeks old and yesterday she slept almost all day.
    6:20 am I woke her up & fed her
    8:00 asleep
    noon woke up and drank 2 1/2 oz from bottle
    12:30 asleep again
    2:30 woke up and drank 5 oz from bottle
    3:30 -4:40 asleep again
    4:45-6:30 fed her on & off
    6:30 pm asleep

She is still sleeping, almost 13 hours later. I have fed her three times since midnight, but she's barely awake. I usually get up with her 1-2 times at night when I hear her fussing in her sleep. She's not fully awake, but is definitely hungry and eager to eat.

Anyway, is this normal? She has had a few of these sleeping marathons since she was born. They always make me frantic. They usually only last a day and then she is back to normal. She is a relatively calm and happy baby, very alert. Does anyone else have any experience with this? Do babies just need to catch up on sleep sometimes?
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Default Re: Should I be worried about marathon sleeping sessions?

Have no fear!!! This is completely normal. It sounds like your DD is simply reacting to infant growth spurts. From her picture I can tell she's a good weight and obviously happy. My son Isaiah is now 2 months old and he's just now starting to wake up. As long as your daughter is eating, pooping, and having plenty of wet diapers then you can relax and know that she's just tired from all that hard work of growing. (Hey, it's hard work doubling your birth weight by 6 months!) However, if she starts refusing to nurse or not having enough wet/poopy diapers, then I would talk to her doctor. She's adorable!!!
    ~Melanie

Unhappy Re: Should I be worried about marathon sleeping sessions?

She did this again yesterday.Could this be a sign she is not getting enough to eat which is making her so tired?
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

She did this again yesterday.Could this be a sign she is not getting enough to eat which is making her so tired?
    Yes, it's a possibility. But before we jump the gun, can you tell us about her wet/poopy diaper output? Chances are it's just a growth spurt or she's just extra tired for any given reason (illness, perhaps)

She has between 1-3 poopy diapers and 8+ wet diapers each day. She does have a stuffy nose, but other than that no signs of illness.

She was 9lbs 3oz at birth, 12lbs 10oz at 9 weeks, and yesterday she was 14lbs 2 oz at 14 weeks not the same scale).
    Last edited by lib_mom; March 7th, 2006 at 12:27 PM.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Well, with that kind of output I wouldn't worry that she's not getting enough It sounds like she's doing well, actually. Chances are this behavior won't last long. If you feel the need, wake her to nurse her or try to lie next to her and nurse her while she's sleeping. Many babies will nurse while being asleep. Otherwise, enjoy the downtime!