Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help:8 month old won't nurse, drink, or eat!

Default Help:8 month old won't nurse, drink, or eat!

For about a month my 8 month old has only nursed in the morning before his nap and before bed and up to 3 times during the night. He is teething now and I have him on Tyenol. He screams when I give him orajel. This morning he bit me hard and I reacted by putting my finger in his mouth to release him and yelled No!, no biting and I stopped nursing him. Actually it happened at the beginning of nursing. I tried again a few minutes later and the same thing happened. Again before his nap time. He hasn't nursed all day! I pumped and tried to feed him the milk in a sippy cup but he wouldn't take it. He loves drinking water and juice from his sippy cup. I tried a bottle and a dropper but he wouldn't take it. He'd drink a whole bottle of tyenol from a dropper if I'd let him. Now when I try to nurse him he just screams. He is pushing away any baby food I try to give him. The only food he will eat are foods he can feed himself. Today that was cherrios, Gerber's puffs and banana. Concerned that he hasn't had enough liquids today, I just tried to give him some water and he wouldn't take it. He is just so upset. All he will do is cry so I just put him to bed about 45 minutes early. It is quiet now. I hope I can nurse him once he is asleep. It is so hard not to get angry with him. I am so exhausted. Has anyone else experienced this? What can I do?

Default Re: Help:8 month old won't nurse, drink, or eat!

It sounds like the combination of biting you and being suprised by your reaction (though it sounds familiarand understandable! I did that the first time I was bit!!! ) and his teething (it might hurt to eat) put him on a nursing strike. According to 'the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding' both you being upset and teething can put a baby on one. Treat the teething as best you can and try nursing him when he is very sleepy or already asleep. Some babies are more likely to nurse if mother is walking about rather than still, so maybe wearing him in a sling might help. If at all possible, devoting yourself almost entirely to the baby for a couple of days would help. Lots of cuddling, stroking, and skin to skin contact may help. TWA also suggests relaxing together in a warm bath.

Hope this gives some good ideas! Keep us posted. Nuring strikes can last 2-4 days! As long as the baby has enough wet/ dirty diapers and is not running a fever, I wouldn't worry too much.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

It is so hard when the children usually love to nurse and then wont. I am sorry that you are going through this , and ds too When my ds did this he had his first ear infection. Really did not have a fever or even touch his ear. If this behavior continue tomorrow you may want to nip into the doctor's just to have them checked out The sucking can be very painful when you have all of that pressure in your ears, please keep us posted!

Hi Glennysmom,
    How stressful for you and your little one! When your baby stops nursing suddenly and isn't happy about it, that sounds like a nursing strike. This is a frustrating, worrisome and upsetting time for everyone.
    Here are a couple of links that might help. One about nursing strikes and one about what to do when your baby bites (ouch!).
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/strike.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bite.html
    Try to address any underlying causes (teething, maybe ear infection?).
    Do your best to make nursing a pleasant experience. Comfort your baby if upset. He's not rejecting you! With a little patience, strikes almost always resolve themselves with time.
    You will probably need to express your milk to avoid feeling uncomfortably full, as well as to keep up your milk supply (especially important in a nursing strike that continues for more than a day or two).
    I hope this helps and you are able to make some progress tonight (and get some rest yourself!) while he sleeps.
    Keep us posted!
    Mary

Exclamation Re: Help:8 month old won't nurse, drink, or eat!

I want to thank everyone for your posts. My son bit me on Wednesday and refused to nurse after that. Wednesday night I was able to nurse him a few times but he didn’t drink much. In fact when he wook up his diaper was dry which is unusual because it is usually soaking wet. Thursday morning I was able to nurse him before is morning nap. I thought hooray!! This strike must be over! But then he wouldn’t nurse all day. I tried to feed him from a bottle and sippy cup all day and was only able to get 2 oz down him. He finally nursed again before bed (with much insistence on Mom’s part). Thursday night (much like Wed night). I had to wake him a few times to nurse him but he wasn’t much interested and didn’t drink much. It is unlike him not to wake up. The only time he wook up to cry was at 6AM. He usually wakes up to the point of waking us up several times a night. And he slept in till 8AM!! My husband just got him up before work. He is always up by 630, 700 at the latest. So to recap, my almost 9 month son is really only nursing well twice a day—before bed and early in the morning. This morning his diaper was pretty wet so that is an improvement from the night before. My son has gone from a non-stop nursling up until 6 months, to a good nurser until 7 months (every 3 hours), to a mostly night time nurser from 7-8 months (except he nursed before his two naps), to a non-nurser only allowing Mom to nurse him twice a day (before bed and early morning). It seems like he is weaning??? That would be OK if I could get him to take formula but he refuses. So what is Mom to do?
    Last edited by glennysmom; March 3rd, 2006 at 09:33 AM.

glennysmom,
    ((hugs)) Hang in there - I know EXACTLY what you are going through. My ds did exactly the same thing when he was 8 months old. Now he is 10months and things are a little better. ds wouldn't want to nurse all day - it was soo hard especially coz i took off from work just then, and it was really hard to pump at home and take care of house work and feed him the bottle (which was hard too), this was also affecting my milk supply! As other posters may have mentioned, try the dark room with noise makers. In your situation, I used to rock ds to sleep in a dark room, with the table fan on and when he is dozing off, offer him the breast. He will probably slowly get back to nursing without you having to do that - but I know it is a LOT of work. Also whichever time he is more active (mine was in the afternoons) give him a bath, that will calm him down - then rock him and nurse him. Thats the approach I took - I too almost gave up and almost finished my freezer supply that I had built up when going to work, and was going to switch to formula. But a LLL leader helped me out. First try the rocking and feeding technique. Then once he gets a hang of it, keep offering to nurse him every 2-3 hours in the day. Whichever way you decide, All the very best to you.

Most likely, your db is not weaning. It is very unusual for a child under 1 year to wean themselves. Remember that the average worldwide weaning age is about 4 years old! It is most likely a nursing strike. Keep being persistant. Remember, a nursing strike can last several days! You'll get through this!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader

Quote Originally Posted by fezzik812
    Remember that the average worldwide weaning age is about 4 years old!
    Woah!!! I never knew that!! How long of that is exclusive nursing?

Baby should always exclusively nurse for at least 6 months but I've heard stories of some going as long as a year. After that baby should definately be on solids.

I was amazed when I hear that statistic. Babies across the world typically wean between 2-7 years old! So when people start asking you how long you intend to bf, it's great to give that statistic and then when you say that since unicef and the WHO reccomend 2 years, it doesn't sound crazy.

My husband works in theater. A few months ago there was an african group that came in and they were telling him that there it is very common to see children 5 or 6 years old take a break from playing, go nurse for a sec, and then return to playing. Since then, when dh sees ds do that he calls it the "ultimate sports drink!"
    Last edited by LLL_Kristie; March 7th, 2006 at 08:08 PM.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader