Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you and your LO have a special song

Default Re: Do you and your LO have a special song

Kara has what we call "The Kara Song" it is the tune of frera jaqua with these words:

I love Kara
    I love Kara
    Yes I do
    Yes I do
    I love baby kara
    I love baby Kara
    Yes I do
    How about you?

I started singing it to her when she was 3 (?) days old, it just popped into my head. Now anytime she is upset, it calms her down instantly. I can't tell you how many times I have ahd to sing it all the way home on a 30 min drive because she was tired of her carseat!!!

Hehe, I wrote her one actually

Oh, my little Miss Blueberry Eyes,
    Thought they'd be brown, but I got a surprize!
    You weren't from an egg, no you didn't need hatch,
    I actually picked you from a blueberry patch!

(It goes to the tune of
    "Up on the rooftop reindeer paws
    Here comes good ol' santa claus
    up on the rooftop, click click click,
    down through the chimney with old saint nick")
    (I *think* those are the words )

My DD loves Old MacDonald while bathing (she hates getting her hair wet) but smiles and coos when i sing that and bathe her.

She also loves the Where is Thumbkin song. Likes the interaction of the 2 fingers.

my LO loves "Tiny Bubbles" by Don Ho and other Hawaiian music. My husband created a playlist for her on the computer and he just sits with her in his arms and she falls asleep listening to her songs.
    Mary - mom to Gabriela (3.20.99), Steven (5.17.01) and Sofia (3.20.06)

"Hush little baby don't you cry" always quiets her down. It started when she was a colicky newborn--i didn't know many (any?) lullibies. She'd be crying her head off and all I new was "hush little baby", the first verse. So I'd sing it over and over again. Eventually--I looked up the rest of the verses on the internet.

"Leaving on a Jet Plane" by Peter, Paul, & Mary (or John Denver) was one that I loved my mom to sing when I was a baby... And now my daughter calms down when I sing it, too!

Quote Originally Posted by VAmom View Post
    "Leaving on a Jet Plane" by Peter, Paul, & Mary (or John Denver) was one that I loved my mom to sing when I was a baby... And now my daughter calms down when I sing it, too!
    I have an excellent version of this song, by Sheryl Crow, that my LO loves!

My oldest son just loved (or rather I think he did) a song by The Cranberries called Salvation while I was pregnant with him. I'd put it on the cd player in the car driving to and from work and he'd "jump"...he used to move to a couple of other songs...but none like that one. When he was a baby he also liked Billy Joel...and Linkin Park (DH played the Linkin Park CD too much for awhile, and DS was the only other person who wanted to hear it after awhile, LOL)

The two constant songs that I've sung to DS#1 that he still loves now (almost 4 yrs later) are the Rock a Bye Song (Rock a Bye Baby with words specific for each of my sons) and Silent Night. He thinks Silent Night is his Lullabye. At Target a couple of weeks ago we were picking out a musical snowglobe for MIL and DS was just adamant that we pick the biggest one there...I asked him why, and he told me it was because it played his lullabye....he's such a sweety. I think he might end up to be a musician.

DS #2 hasn't really picked a song yet...but I'm sure DS#1 and DH are hoping he'll pick their new favorite song that came out on Weird AL Yankovic's new CD...its called Virus Alert...all the boys, DS#2 included, end up getting danced around the living room with that one.

BTW...I notice everybody's kids like You are My Sunshine...my DS#1 has always disliked that song...About a year ago I asked him why he didn't like that song, and he told me that it made him want to cry. I guess maybe because it seems like its in a minor key...maybe that's why he didn't like it as a baby...but then, the second verse is pretty sad...so when he got older, it made him sad....

omagosh i noticed that when he's fussy and i sing journey's don't stop believin' he'll calm down right away. or if it happens to come on the radio even!

well, DD1 was God is so Good and DS1 adn DD2 were/are you are my sunshine. Which is sad and my kids feel sad even now when we sing it because we can't be together, but they feel like its a good sad about how much you can love someone.

DS2 (5.5 mos.) has from the first time he heard it, immediately stopped everything to listen to a sort of jazz version of "I love you Just the way you Are" (Track 7 on some CD someone gave us. He used to scream all the time in his carseat, still does some times, and he STOPS silent if we can quick get track 7 in. He also loves Johnny Cash and his nighttime CD of Lullabyes that I sing along with.

Now, whoever mentioned John Denver Follow Me has me humming it!

Jeanne