Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Shots/Immunizations - question

Default Shots/Immunizations - question

My LO went for her 2 month appointment today and received 5 shots. She was very fussy earlier, but for most of the day after her appointment, she has been sleeping. She will only feed for short spurts before pulling off and falling into a deep sleep (I can't rouse her to keep eating) - and she's been going 3 hours or longer between her feedings. I'll be lucky if I get 8 feedings in today. Right now she is sleeping while latched and I can feel short quick sucks, but that's about it.

Is this normal behavior (all the deep sleeping) after having shots? I don't remember my first DD sleeping so much after her first round of immunizations. I hope she's back to normal tomorrow.

Also - OT - when does LO go fro newborn to infant as far as where I should post?

Default Re: Shots/Immunizations - question

I think it's normal but if you are concerned call your ped. And keep track of her output. I would think you could post your questions on either section.

How long a child will sleep after shots is truely a child by child thing. My oldest would sleep all day after shots, my second would just take an extended nap. Just watch the injection site for redness and swelling and give her infant tylenol as directed by her Pediatrician. Keep an eye out for any allergic reactions to the vaccinations too, my oldest is allergic to the DTaP shot, he can't be vaccinated against pertussis (whooping cough) because the vaccine gave him seziures.

Every child is unique so they all respond different, just keep an eye on her and within a day or two she'll be back to normal.

All 3 of my kids snoozed after they got their first round of shots at 2 months old. My sister is a PNP, and she said that "shots knock 'em out". It never lasted more than a day, though.

I'm sure it's different for every baby, but with mine, the first round was the worst. They all cried A TON, and were wiped out. After that, they didn't cry as much or as hard, and it didn't affect them quite as much for the 4 mo, 6 mo, etc. rounds. I hope that's the case with your LO too!

Lisa

I think it is definately normal for the LO to sleep a great deal, even run a slight fever. I'd call your pediatrician if she runs a fever higher than 101 degrees, or is still lethargic and uninterested in feeding after 48 hours. But until then, it's normal for them to not quite be "themselves." Not to scare you, but did they give you papers that describe allergic reactions to watch for? What you describe sounds normal, but it's still best to be sure.

I hope the babe feels better soon!
    Last edited by JustSasha; December 13th, 2006 at 10:19 AM.