Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: decrease in morning supply

Default decrease in morning supply

I have a concern......since my son's birth 3 months ago I have been able to pump out a good amount after his am feeding which has helped keep my supply up for the times I am at work. But over the past week I have not been able to pump anything out and have had to dip into my frozen supply. Any ideas as to why this is happening? Any suugestions?

Thanks!!
    Jen

Default Re: decrease in morning supply

Hi Jen,
    Are you pumping in order to leave milk for ds while you are work? How often do you pump during the day? How often does ds nurse? Everything working ok with the pump?

Some moms find that pumping early in the morning is a good time to get milk as their supply is usually higher then. Could you get up an hour or two before ds's first morning feeding to pump?

Are you aware that you can put that fresh milk in the fridge for up to 8 days, and you could use it immediately, eliminating the need for you to freeze milk? This would allow ds to have the freshest milk you have, as fresh is definitely better than frozen! I was unclear if you were using frozen milk daily or just in emergencies, as this one!

Let me know how things are going...

Thank you for your reply. I have a very erratic schedule with my job.....I am an x-ray tech and I do Lithotripsy (break up kidney stones) and I work in an OR environment.......I only work when there are cases, so some days I don't work. Then on the days I do work, its usually not a full day. Also, my cases are usually sheduled back to back, so sometimes I only get to pump once. Today for example, I had to go 6 hours before pumping. Then when I came home, he and I were pretty much on schedule and he was able to feed off of me the rest of the day. He was getting fresh milk.....I would only freeze milk if I knew I wasn't going to use it by the 8th day. With my job, some weeks I may only work one or two days, so I when I was pumping in the am, I was able to "stock up." He was getting fresh milk up until I was unable to pump anything out in the am. I travel with my job so I already get up pretty early and usually when I get up, I feed him. Also, for the past week he has been waking up every 1-2 hours. He used to sleep for a good 3-5, sometimes 6-7.......is it a growth spurt? Or is he not getting enough from me? Will giving him cereal in the evening (along with breast) decrease my milk supply at night? I was thinking of starting cereal to see if he'll sleep longer. I also bought Brewers Yeast.......do you reccommend this? Does it work?

Sorry for the long response, just trying to give you all the details.
    Thanks for your help and any suggestions.
    Jen

Jen,
    Yes, ds could most definitely be going through a growth spurt! At his young age I would suggest going with the flow (his needs) and nursing when he indicates he needs to nurse. Take heart, this will not last forever. What he is doing is helping to increase your supply a little for his growth spurt. When things get to where he needs them to be he will settle down.

I wouldn't suggest offering cereal yet. There is really no link to babies having cereal at night and sleeping longer stretches. Some moms find during these times that keeping the baby close by-in their bed, or in a co-sleeper-helps them during these frequent night feedings. You are right to be concerned that offering cereal could decrease your supply. And since you need the EBM for when you work, you certainly wouldn't want that! Also, right now, your milk has more calories and nutrients than anything else you could offer. It is recommended that babies begin exploring with solids around the half-year mark. Here is a link:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMayJun99p86.html

Hang in there and you will do just fine! His increased need to nurse is just his way of getting more milk. It is not indicative of you not having enough. If you allow him to take lots of milk out, then your breasts will make lots more...supply and demand!

What kind of pump are you using? Is it new or used?
    Could you try pumping while he is nursing (nurse one side, pump the other?) Are there any other times you could try adding a pumping session or two? Maybe early in the morning on the days that you don't have to go in to work? Just brainstorming here...

Let me know if any of these suggestions might work!

I forgot to mention, check out this thread on taking baking yeast and water...the same applies to Brewer's yeast, as you will see in the last post at the end.

http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=1165

HTH!