Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No supply for 6 months old twins

Default No supply for 6 months old twins

I know it is not a new topic but when I read other posts I was really depressed. My current milk supply does not exceed 2 oz per day (pumping 3 to 4 times a day). Others complain about getting only 9 oz !!!! This is a dream come true to me.My twins used to nurse side by side with formula till they reached 3 months old. Then they completely refused my breasts. Family and friends adviced my to stop. I tried my best to pump but I did not get any support so my pumping sessions were far apart and for less time. When I talked to my husband about what it means to me to continue breasetfeeding and need his support he started help but now he and other family members and friends tell me it is too late. They are 6 months now. Is this true ?
    Last edited by rashwannewsletters; December 12th, 2006 at 02:45 PM.

Default Re: No supply for 6 months old twins

Hi there,
    It is certainly not too late! You have done well searching out support and information.

Are you trying to increase supply at this time?
    What are your goals? To make more milk and nurse, or to make more milk and continue with the bottle? It is just helpful that we know what you are hoping for.

How often are you pumping?
    What type of pump?
    Will your babies nurse at all anymore?

If you look at the top of this forum there is a sticky with several articles/FAQ's on increasing supply. You might want to check these out and then check back with us!

Hi All,
    Thanks for your replies. I was desperate in finding support that I have posted in 4 diffrent forums
    - Breastfeeding multiples
    - Pumping
    - Increasing your milk
    - Work and breastfeeding

I want to add one more thing. I am really considering getting an electric pump. The brands available

near to where I live is
    a-Medella
    b-EvenFlo
    c-Nuk
    Does anyone have a recommendation ?

Now for your questions
    1- how long and how often does each baby nurse?
    They nurse every 2.5-3 hours during they day. They sleep for about 7 continous hours during the

night. They need about 4 oz per nursing. I have started solids about 3 weeks ago but they only take

about 5-7 spoons (once a day)

2- what kind of pump are you using
    I have used a couple of manual inexpensive pumps but they seemed to be messy so I have read

about ways to express milk by hand. It stated out fine with me but then my babies started being so

demanding so my pumping became more and more irregular. I am really considering getting an

electric pump. The brands available near to where I live is
    a-Medella
    b-EvenFlo
    c-Nuk
    Does anyone have a recommendation ?

3- how often do you pump
    I have started pumping every 3 hours for about 20 minutes (10 minutes each breast) but usually it

was after they were formula fed. I did not pump during night. Sometimes a day pass without

pumping. Now I pump every 4 hours and I get 0.5 oz per time I do not pump during night.

4- have the pump parts been "fitted" to you?
    I now express milk using my hand. But as I said I am seriously considering getting an electric pump.

5- what are your goals with bf'ing
    - to have healthier babies
    - I want to feel connected to my babies.It is so depressing not to hold them to my breast.
    I want them to get back to my breast not just drink my milk from a bottle but now I will settle for

anything.

6- what kind of support do you have
    If you mean emotional support as I said no one understands how it feels to stop breastfeeding not my

husband nor close family members and friends. As for physical support it is hard to get as all family

members and friends have full time jobs ( I myself work as freelance programmer)

What do you recommend ?

Hi there,
    I have checked the thread in Multiples, and will allow them to continue to help you there, with some of the things I asked.

But I will mention, for relactation, if possible, a hospital-grade rental pump is usually suggested, as it cycles more closely to the baby's suck.

As far as support is concerned, do you know if there is a local LLL group? You would really benefit from having other moms to talk to. I can understand it must be so difficult to feel unsupported by family. Often, when a mom encounters a difficulty with BF her husband and other family members try to "protect" her, by telling her not to worry about it. They often don't realize how important this is to the mom and only want to see her less burdened or stressed. They often see BF or relactation in your case, to be the cause of stress. So, just keeping the dialogue open with family can be helpful.

You can keep coming here...we will give you lots of pats for all you are doing for your babies! You are doing a great job!