Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9 day old not sleeping

Default Re: 9 day old not sleeping

I feel your pain. My newborn is 9 days old too.... I am the human pacifier right now and feel the same... tired.. distraught..and just worn out.

My husband is a great team mate and coaches me on and I try and take every day at a time...I know how you feel.

My only advice is to take it one day at a time....they say it get's better and that this is the best thing for the baby.

Congratulations! I have to agree with pps! Stop watching the clock and listen to your lo. You are doing a great job! Give yourself more credit where deserved. BFing is a learning experience for both of you. I've been BF twins for 4 months now and I wish I had never listened to the hospital staff that kept telling me how often and how long I have to nurse my boys cuz that is honestly what made me totally insane and nervous wreck...and I BF 2 others (12yr and 19 yrs ago) but they still had me feeling like I didn't know what I was doing. Unfourtunately, I didn't find this group until my boys were a month or 2! I think a lot of people only hear about the wonderful advantages of BFing and think it's going to be so easy...not every one knows about the challenges that are there. So when we hit a bump we think that it's impossible or that there's something wrong with us! When you are determined to overcome you will!

Once again....it looks like you are doing a wonderful job. We're here for you!

Thanks for the support ladies. I was in tears most of the night. We tried the Mylanta as his ped recommended for his reflux. But he was crying in pain. When he finally fell asleep, his breathing was wheezy and congested (I guess that is a reflux symptom) so I didn't sleep at all. I just lay there and made sure I could hear him breathing. I am an absolute emotional mess. One minute I think I can handle it, the next minute I want to just run away.

The problem is, he feeds, and sometimes it hurts him because I can't nurse him totally inclined, so he stops. I put him on my chest to burp him, but he never burps. For the reflux I am supposed keep him elevated for 30 minutes after eating. SO I do that, and sometimes he is squirming in pain. So it takes hours for him to fall asleep. And when he is asleep, I feel like I need to wake him to feed. He must be so exhausted, but I do want to him to eat.

I am seriously considering pumping and bottle feeding so that he can take a full feed inclined and then we can move on to comforting him and helping him sleep. And then we know he gets enough.

I really don't know what to do
    Lyn

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. We had a rough start, too, and I know how hard it is. I would encourage you to contact a LLL Leader or an IBCLC for some in person help (and encouragement!) Maybe they can help you with positioning or some different ideas for burping.

How long does it usually take to get a reply from a local LLL? I contacted someone 3 days ago, and then again today I contacted 3 local people in case the 1 is away or something. I still haven't heard anything...
    Lyn