Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 day old not sleeping

Default 9 day old not sleeping

My son is 9 days old and hes not sleeping between feeds. If i put him down sleepy after eating, he wakes up and kicks around. I think he has problems getting through the sleep cycles. About once a day, he has one long nap (I think he is just so tired out) I'd been waking him from this sleep after 3 hours to feed him, but do you think its ok to stop doing that since he doesnt sleep other than that (including night time) The additional problem is, he still wants to suck to soothe himself. So basically he is awake, suckling, between feeds. How do I know he's getting enough milk and when his true feeds are? I was giving him a pacifier for sucking, but was scared about my milk supply etc. My breasts have not leaked at all. They were engorged on the 5th day, and he is having lots of wet and poopy diapers. Most of the diapers have been green, which I read is from not getting to the hindmilk. How can I ensure he gets to the hindmilk when he wants to suck all day? Last night I thought I wanted to express milk and bottle feed just so I know hes getting the good milk. Is this going to improve? I'm so tired and I want to do whats best for him.
    Thanks
    Lyn

Default Re: 9 day old not sleeping

I'm no expert on the feeding part, but have you tried swaddling him for sleeping? Use a thin, large blanket (like flannel) and swaddle him tightly. We did that with our 3 kids, and it helped with the sleeping TREMENDOUSLY. With our youngest, we also used a bassinet, and he slept better in that than his crib--could be the coziness, who knows.

Good luck!

Lisa

Yup we've been swaddling. Today I let him just suckle for awhile after feeding and he fell asleep, and slept for about two hours. YAY. I think it was because he basically cat napped all night and must have been exhausted. I just want him to learn to get past those jolting sleep cycles they go through before getting into a good sleep. We are going to be buying a swing tonight to see if that helps, at least to get my hands free for awhile. And we're going to buy a ring sling.
    BFing and being a mommy is nothing like I expected. I'm trying to make peace with it, but its difficult.
    Thanks again
    Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    My son is 9 days old and hes not sleeping between feeds. If i put him down sleepy after eating, he wakes up and kicks around. I think he has problems getting through the sleep cycles. About once a day, he has one long nap (I think he is just so tired out) I'd been waking him from this sleep after 3 hours to feed him, but do you think its ok to stop doing that since he doesnt sleep other than that (including night time) The additional problem is, he still wants to suck to soothe himself. So basically he is awake, suckling, between feeds. How do I know he's getting enough milk and when his true feeds are? I was giving him a pacifier for sucking, but was scared about my milk supply etc. My breasts have not leaked at all. They were engorged on the 5th day, and he is having lots of wet and poopy diapers. Most of the diapers have been green, which I read is from not getting to the hindmilk. How can I ensure he gets to the hindmilk when he wants to suck all day? Last night I thought I wanted to express milk and bottle feed just so I know hes getting the good milk. Is this going to improve? I'm so tired and I want to do whats best for him.
    Thanks
    Lyn

As far as the sleep -that is how my 7 weekold has been since birth. he almost never naps during the day. he eats and is awake and he eats again...mypedi said some babies dont sleepwell during the day...it is ROUGH on me - because he wants to be held all the time when awake - so i cant get stuff done!

Just a bit of fair warning--you have a growth spurt coming up at 10 days to 2 weeks and your lo will want to nurse A LOT! It might even seem constant to you, but that's okay. It won't take long (a few days) for your milk supply to catch up. It's important to let your lo nurse so your body gets the message to make more milk.

Being a new mommy and bfing is so hard at the beginning! And the lack of sleep in large chunks like you were used to doesn't help. And remember, giving birth was a lot of hard work and it wasn't all that long ago for you. Relax, nurse, and cuddle with your sleeping baby. Hang in there.

Pumping and bottlefeeding isn't the answer. Counting diapers (at least 5-6 wet and 2-3 poopy in 24 hours) is. You mentioned a concern about hindmilk. What is your nursing pattern like? (How often are you feeding? switching breasts?)

And yes, it does get easier. You and your baby are both learning and going through so many changes right now. If you can find an experienced bfing mom to just chat with our spend an afternoon with occassionally, it really helps. (At least it was really helpful for me.) Going to LLL meetings is also a big help.

Thanks for all the advice. Yesterday, I was watching him sleeping, and I noticed that he was gagging in his sleep. It happened three times within about 20 minutes, and it totally freaked me out. It was silent gagging like he had something in the throat. So I called the pediatrician. She had me bring him in, but suggested on the phone that it could be reflux. I had heard of infant reflux, but our son never spits up, so I didn't think anything of it. But I looked it up online, and found more info. And it fits with his eating and sleeping problems. I feel that he is waking because of the discomfort. And the eating is slow because of that too. He does have a hoarseness sometimes aswell. So he is sleeping in his swing right now and I've been trying to feed him as upright as possible, but hes so floppy its hard.

Here's an example of how our morning went. Maybe someone can offer some insight. He slept from about 930 PM to 200 AM. He woke on his own, and I fed him from one side and then he finished up on the other. I don't know how it feels to "empty one side" so I just hope he is getting the hind milk. Since I started the switch feeding, he seems to be more alert during feedings. So he went back down at about 330 AM. I don't know why he is up so long for one feeding. He is sleepy during the feed, I wake him by burping him ( he never burps ) and changing his diaper. He doesn't stay on the breast for very long, he unlatches and then wants back on, but sometimes gets frustrated and wont suck, he just tries to grab at the nipple with him mouth. Anyway, he went back to sleep at about 330, and was awake at 515. I got him up and fed him pretty much the same as the earlier feed. This is where it differs. It feels like I feed him for about an hour, stopping and starting. And this is why I question if he is getting the hindmilk. I don't think I have an overactive letdown, as I don't leak or spray, etc and he doesn't pull away choking or anything. He just lets go of the nipple a lot. I try really hard to get the best latch and ensure that he is swallowing etc, but sometimes I just let him suck to make sure he is getting SOMETHING.

So I'm trying to keep him upright for 30 minutes after eating. Say it takes about an hour to feed him, and then 30 minutes of upright. Then I put him in his swing to sleep. But he fusses (not crying, just being awake) for at least 20-30 minutes. But then he falls into a beautiful peaceful sleep. Today he fell into that sleep at about 730 AM (so he was awake for well over 2 hours), I feel that he will try to sleep a long time in that deep sleep. But I have to wake him so that he will eat @ about 815.

One of my questions is, since he takes longer to eat and to fall asleep, should I still be having him eat 3 hours after STARTING his last feed? Or should I go about 3 hours from say, the middle of his feed?

Editing to add: its now 8:41, and he is totally fast asleep. Do I wake him??

His output is great. Lots of wet and poopy diapers (the majority are green though) And he has been gaining an ounce a day.

I really wish babies came with instructions. Some days I feel so lost with him.

Lyn
    Last edited by @llli*danlynclark; December 13th, 2006 at 10:41 AM.

Just feed him on demand, and you'll be OK. Don't worry too much about the clock right now. As long as he's having enough wet/dirty diapers, he's fine.

You're doing just fine, Mommy!

Lisa

I feel good! I got him up at about 8:45. It took a bit to rouse him, but he was such a sweet sleepy guy. When he was really awake he was HUNGRY. I'm trying to feed him on an incline to help with his reflux, and he seems to actually stay interested in eating more when hes inclined. He gets frustrated with me though, cause its hard to find good positions that work for both him and I. I usually have to hold my breast to feed him or it falls away and breaks his latch. So its a little hard to incline him, hold my breast, watch his latch (he can get lazy with his mouth I think) all at the same time.

ANYWAY, I changed his diaper when he came off the breast, and then he was ready for some more. I think the feeding plus diaper change was about 30 minutes total (I worry that isnt enough milk, but I need to trust him and my milk). Then I held him upright on my chest for 30 minutes. He went to sleep. Usually I would feed him again before laying him down because I want him to have as much milk as possible, but figured that wasn't good for his reflux and wanted to see what would happen if I didn't (plus he wasn't asking for more). I put him down in his swing (turned off). Usually after putting him down he would wake up and squirm. This time he is "sleeping like a baby" for over an hour. So I think the combo of the inclined feeding, 30 minutes upright, shorter awake time, and inclined sleeping have all dramatically changed the issues we were having.

Emotionally I feel so much better. Since we brought him home, I was an emotional wreck not knowing why he was not eating well, sleeping well, etc.

*sigh* They don't come with instructions, but observing them and tweaking things really creates an individual instruction manual.

Now to just emotionally and physically prepare for this upcoming growth spurt I've been warned about....

Lyn

Remember, part of the reason you're an emotional wreck is that you're in your post-partum phase, and that comes with a hefty dose of baby blues. Watch out that it goes away in 2-3 weeks... if it doesn't, call YOUR doctor immediately. PPD is nothing to mess with.

And hang in there. It really DOES get easier (look for my posts to find out my story), and these first weeks are the roughest. We all went into it with the expectation that breastfeeding is SOOOO natural that it should be easy. It's not. It's a learned skill, for both you and the baby. And so many things can make it challenging. Try to take some time for yourself (I know you won't ;-)) and relax (you won't do that either). If you're really concerned about how much he's eating, find a local lactation center (through your hospital, maybe, or a high-end baby boutique) and try weighing him before and after a feeding. He's a got a really small tummy right now, and BM digests pretty quickly.

You're doing great! Now stop watching the clock and curl up with him. He'll only be this little for so long and before you know it, months will have flown by.

Oh, and to help with the reflux, letting him sleep in his sling or car seat can help because it will keep him upright. Just make sure his head doesn't drop to his chest so he can breathe easily.

And keep posting.

I agree keep posting, and don't be afraid to contact your local leader by phone, she's around to help.
    Do you have a boppy pillow? That can help to keep baby more upright when you are trying to feed him, that or some moms just use pillows.
    here's a great link (not LLLI) about reflux
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html