Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to get 11 month old w/ GERD to nurse more?

Default How to get 11 month old w/ GERD to nurse more?

I know I'm a little early here (with my 11 month olds) but always wanted to post on an "extended" forum

Long story, hopefully shortened: I'm battling low supply after breast reduction, with 11 month old twins. I also have a very weak milk ejection reflex. We had to supplement with formula shortly after birth, due to a slow time with milk coming in after a difficult, medicated c-section. Currently I'm on domperidone, fenugreek / blessed thistle (pills & More Milk Plus), yeast flakes, and Mother's Milk tea.

I'm also a WOHM that pumps during the weekdays. Both boys probably get 1/2 of their milk nutrition from breastmilk, pumped or direct. We use Avent bottles with newborn nipples.

DS #1 is a nursing fool. He nurses very often during the day, and now mostly sleeps thru the night ~8 hours.

DS #2 had GERD from the very beginning, and was much more reluctant nurser. Between 6-10 months he started being happier with nursing, especially after I started taking domperidone and getting more milk. He isn't content to just nurse, he really wants their to be milk.

Around 8 months I started co-sleeping with him (DH really didn't want me to, but I finally insisted). This was after I read that GERDlings like to nurse better while sleepy. Sure enough, he is much happier night/sleepy nursing than during the day. I even have to change his wet diaper during the night otherwise it is just too much

The last few weeks DS #2 has almost boycotted nursing during the day. I try to just nurse on the weekends, but I am worried about DS #2 getting hungry and especially thirsty during the day. We've just started sippy cups, but I'm reluctant to give him too much water in hopes that he will nurse for his thirst.

Am I "thirsting" my child to death? Should I just cave in and give him a sippy during weekend days? I think I make a fair amount of milk on the weekend, if he would just nurse! I really think his GERD is still causing him pain, despite being medicated (Pepcid). What else can I do to get him to nurse on weekend days?

Sorry so long.

Default Re: How to get 11 month old w/ GERD to nurse more?

Regardless of his condition, you definitely want to keep him hydrated during the day. Have you considered offering cup-feedings of your milk during the day?

Default Re: How to get 11 month old w/ GERD to nurse more?

As I said, I am battling low supply, and with twins I don't have time to pump on the weekend. Pumping is a battle to begin with