Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding when dehydrated

Default Breastfeeding when dehydrated

Hi everyone,
    I have a question that has never happened to me during my nursing of 3 babies. I have a 14 mo dd -actually she'll be 15 months on Monday. She got a stomach bug last Wednesday & has refused all solid food until today. She only had diarrhea. I caught her bug yesterday & threw up until I was getting dehydrated. I was planning to go to ER for fluids this morning if I couldn't keep anything down today but am much better. I'm still not eating/drinking a lot & dd's diapers are not as wet as usual plus they are very dark urine colored-to be expected. So what should I do other than push fluids. She's drinking a bit of water but not enough & she refuses most everything else. Any ideas on how to recover in a hurry sans IV?????
    Thanks,
    Kam

Default Re: Breastfeeding when dehydrated

Will she nurse? If so then let her nurse all she wants, even if she throws up. She will still absorb what she needs. You can nurse for five minutes every fifteen to see if that helps her to keep bm down any better.
    As far as yourself try popscycles and ice chips, chicken soup, anything that might stay down and help you build your stregnth up.
    This always worked for me through several illnesses.
    I would not worry about the dipes unless you don't have any at all for 12 hours.

Anne
    momuvseven

Default Re: Breastfeeding when dehydrated

Thanks for the reply. Yes, she's nursing a lot-that's why I was worried about getting dehydrated myself. Then I was afraid I wouldn't have enough fluids for her. We're both better-she's starting to eat a tiny amount of food again & I'm keeping things down so we're on the mend!! Thanks again,
    Kam