Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Time between feeds

Question Time between feeds

My 10 week old will sometimes sleep through the 3 hour mark and wake up 4 hours since her last feed, is this too long? She is a great feeder and always takes as much as she needs. She has only recently been napping in the day since I started an elimination diet due to her stomach problems, before she's always wake in pain. She is putting weight on steadily and is a happy healthy baby, I just hate to wake her now she has started being able to nap

Default Re: Time between feeds

Is she gaining OK? If so, I wouldn't worry too much.

Lisa

I would say that if her diaper output is good(6-8 wet and a few soiled) and she's gaining well, then I'd not worry about it.

I agree with the pp's. my dd is the same age and i let her sleep for as long as she wants (sometimes she'll sleep for 8 hours @ night and I have no intention of waking her)
    all you need to do at this age is watch for diaper output to make sures getting enough to eat!!
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

What did you find that you needed to eliminate from your diet. My daughter seems to having problems with her stomach and I am thinking that I need to start trying to figure out what is causing the problem.

thanks,
    meredith

My LO sleeps very well at night now (almost 9 weeks old). She usually sleeps 6-6 1/2 hours at night, so sometimes her feedings are 7 hours apart.

I sometimes worry that she's going too long between feedings, but like the pp's said - diaper output & weight gain are good indicators. My LO went this morning for her 2 month appointment at the pediatrician's office, and she has gained 4 pounds since birth! So even though she sleeps longer at night, her weight gain indicates that she is getting just what she needs via her feedings.

HTH!!!

Thanks for all your advice! Yes she is gaining really well, she was born 3 weeks early and was 6lb and is now about 10½lb and is in the middle of the weight charts. I let her go as long as she wants in the night - around 6 hours if she feeds late in the evening, it wass more the day I was worried about as someone told me 4 hours is along time for a BF baby to go. If I try and feed her before she's hungry she doesn't take much anyway so I'll presume she's getting more efficient at feeding.

Meredith, I am doing a modified version of the Dr Sears elimination diet. Instead of the organic lamb and turkey I have chicken or salmon and I've added some sunflower oil. The rest is all rice, potatoes, sweet potato and courgette. I drink rice milk and have rice cereal. Its tough but the change in her behaviour is unbelievable, I wish I'd done it from the beginning! I have been doing it 9 days and am pretty confident she is sensitive to dairy proteins and possibly soy. I can start reintroducing one food every four days soon but I am nervous to do this!! One treat I found I can have is salted potato chips as long as they are not processed and only contain salt, potato and vegetable oil. DD's stomach problems were reduced within 2 days and then we had a couple of days where she had them mildly again but this is normal. She still whinges a bit when she has wind but she has nowhere near as much. The girls at my mother and baby group said it was like I had a new baby, she napped and when she was awake couldn't stop smiling If you think the diet is a bit harsh you should maybe cut out dairy first as this is the most common sensitivity in babies, its actually the proteins and not the lactose that causes the problems. Let me know how you get on, its tough but when you get a beaming smile from your happy baby its all worth it