Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning to formula

Default Weaning to formula

Things have not been going well. I need to wean my 8.5 month old to formula, but not sure how best to go about that to be safe for me (prone to plugs) and allow him to get proper nutrition.

When he’s had bottles, he takes 2-2.5oz breastmilk or 3 oz mix - 2oz formula, 1oz breastmilk. I know that seems low, per the LC I saw last week (this was before I decided to go full formula; we were working on mix of pumping and formula); I’m not sure why he only eats that much, but he pushes the bottle away if we try to continue feeding, and he is a very healthy, chunky boy (probably around 26 lbs based on last weight check). I know he’ll need to take a larger volume of formula to get enough calories, and I’m worried he won’t accept that.

I had thought to slowly wean him off feeds, dropping one/week, to prevent me getting plugged ducts, but I fear doing it that way, he’ll just want to nurse more at times I offer (specifically waking more at night, and he already wakes every 2hrs at night most nights as it is). I know there are things I can take to help dry up faster (sage?), but if I do that, how will I know baby is adequately fed through bottles if he’s still trying to nurse?

Just feeling a little lost and could use any advice I can get. (Also, I am 100% sure about this choice and would prefer not to have to go back through reasons why/what has led us to this point unless it’s applicable information for my questions here).

Default Re: Weaning to formula

2-2.5 oz feeds especially for a baby that is nursing every 2 hours around the clock seems totally normal to me. So as of last week you were still interested in combo feeding your baby and this week you aren't? Exactly how soon are you hoping to be in position where you aren't nursing your baby at all anymore?

Way too lazy for formula

Unfortunately, yes - I keep running into obstacles with pumping (would rather not go into details), and it’s causing more stress than even nursing through pain, so I need to be done. I’m hoping to not be nursing asap, but know because of my tendency toward plugs that I need to be careful. I have ordered sunflower lecithin (per LCs advice) to help avoid plugs, and sage if I feel I need to speed things up.

I’ve started feeding him formula at one feeding instead of nursing this week, and so far am not having issues with engorgement or even fullness before I nurse him again. However, he only will take 3oz formula, so he’s hungry again within an hour (and that’s with also having a little solids for breakfast, too). I’m not sure if I need to start nursing him on a schedule and feeding formula on demand instead so as not to allow him to just hold out until he can nurse again.

ETA: he only takes one side per nursing session, if that matters.

However, he only will take 3oz formula, so he’s hungry again within an hour (and that’s with also having a little solids for breakfast, too).
    It is more likely that baby is not hungry again within an hour, but looking to nurse for comfort. What other comfort measures can you try aside nursing? Also, if he really IS hungry, can you just give him more food or formula?

I’m not sure if I need to start nursing him on a schedule and feeding formula on demand instead so as not to allow him to just hold out until he can nurse again.
    I am not sure what scheduling will accomplish- meal scheduling is more about convenience and societal norms than with the way hunger happens or bodies need refueling. My point is, I believe in cue feeding-meaning offering food when it is requested (or it seems to me to be about time) and not expecting a child to eat more or less than they want at a sitting- no matter what it is the child is being fed (food, water, formula or breastmilk.) If you would like to read more about why I say this, I suggest the book My Child Won't Eat.

But if you want to schedule nursing at the breast to make sure baby nurses often or regularly enough for you to avoid getting plugs, that makes sense to me.

24-32oz of breastmilk a day in the normal healthy rage in a 24 hr period. Is there a need for a larger amount of formula in a 24hr period?

Way too lazy for formula