Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can't pump enough, baby refusing formula

Question Can't pump enough, baby refusing formula

I have just started back to work. I am pumping at work, but I am not able to pump quite enough for my three month son. I would like to supplement 2-3 bottles of formula per week. My son was taking some formula, but is now refusing it. He will take breastmilk from a bottle, but not formula. Does anyone have suggestions about which formula would be best for occasional supplements?

Default Re: Can't pump enough, baby refusing formula

How much do you pump and how much do you think you need? 2-3 bottles is ALL your baby should need while away from you. Rule of thumb on BM is 1 to 1 &1/2 oz for every hour your are away. So if your gone 8hrs 8-12oz should be enough. That's 2- 3 4oz bottles. Often DCP who aren't familiar w/BF children try to overfeed them. They try to feed them whenever they cry. When in fact they just need to be held or played with. How much are you off?

Way too lazy for formula

Default Re: Can't pump enough, baby refusing formula

There are ways you can work to increase your milk production.

Let's start with what kind of pump you are using - it should be a hospital grade double pump. Many mothers on these boards seem to like Medela's PISA and Ameda's Purely Yours.

There's more to pumping than just sticking the flanges on your breasts. Start here for more info: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

In answer to your specific question, LLL cannot recommend any specific type of formula. That's something you'd need to ask your baby's doctor about. We don't know you and your baby, so it would be inappropriate for us to offer recommendations on formula.
    Last edited by @llli*LLLShannon; December 12th, 2006 at 06:35 AM. Reason: hit "post" too soon
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!