Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump weaned last week, now have mastitis, thoughts?

Default Pump weaned last week, now have mastitis, thoughts?

Hello, this is my third son and he is now 16 months old. I had been down to pumping once a day at work (gone for 9 hrs) and he was down to eating 3 ounces the whole time I was gone. I had been doing once a day for four months and thought it was time to quit. I have not been too full except for one day that he didn't nurse before I went to work, and now have mastitis even though my breasts aren't painful or red. Thoughts? Perhaps this is a one time occurrence and it won't happen again? I don't want to go back to pumping.

Default Re: Pump weaned last week, now have mastitis, thoughts?

Hi, mastitis can be very tricky. If your are sure it is mastitis and not the flu, then you might want to pump just a little until you are well (or encourage your child to nurse more often.) And then, unfortunately, you may find you need to wean yourself off the pump again, perhaps more gradually. (pumping slightly less each day, pumping every other day, only pumping if child does not nurse, etc.)

Of course you can just treat the mastitis with anti biotics (probably will have to do that anyway(?) and hope that is all that is needed. It really depends on how full you are feeling/how much milk stasis you are having at this point. Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks for the reply, I feel much better today after nursing him all last night and morning today.
    I did want to mention the remedy I use whenever I get mastitis (which has been more and more often with each successive child) since it is simple and may work for other people as well. The very first time I got it, my midwife suggested I drink a glass of saltwater made with Real Salt. I find that it knocks it right out, especially if I catch it early on. Sometimes, like this time, I ended up drinking a glass morning and night for a couple days. I have had mastitis over ten times and never had to use antibiotics. It is kind of gross to drink but it works!

Wow cool tip! Thanks!

Glad you are feeling better today.