Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drop in supply and Pasty poop

Default Drop in supply and Pasty poop

Hi

Baby is going to be 4 month in 8 days, I am very sure there is a drop in supply due to pumping at work. I somehow managed to get one month off from work, so that I can nurse him. My supply has dropped really well, I am very sure about that. he pretty much nurse every 2-3 hours. and only one side, if he goes to comfort nursing he will wait for at least 3 let downs but not take other breast (I just don't understand why).He nurses 12 times a day and cluster nurse for 1 -1.5 hour and may take 3.5-4 hour strech at night. then one 3 hour and wake up around 6 or so and take a good nap until 9:45 am to 10 AM. (If he is hungry Can he sleep like this?)

He had big thick yellow poop, I have never seen this consistency earlier. Is it because of less milk and he is getting too much hind milk , Is it so? His poops are usually runny, brown, yellow earlier. His wet diapers have reduced, but its still clear urine, he doesn't pee overnight even if he is taking a feed, he has to be completely awake to pee. if he pees in the morning its slight more yellow than usual, and the diaper is not sloppy wet. but decently wet(upto half of blue indicator).

My biggest question is if a baby is hungry can he sleep or play through it? because if he is satisfied with the milk why isn't he gaining?
    He was 12 pounds 13 ounces at his 2 months check up
    Now he is 14 pounds 15 ounces as of today. (lost 3 to 4 ounces after a huge poop)
    As suggested by kelley mom doesn't he need to gain at least 1.5 pounds a month?
    Sometimes he is so stubborn he wont take a feed unless it is past 2 to 2.5 hours since his last feed. Thats what makes me wonder if he is hungry won't he be clinging on me all day?. he is happy , playing around and trying to roll over.

It was similar situation with his brother he was also on same weight exactly same, 15 pounds 2 ounces on his 4 month check up. and I remember doctor asked me to give him cereal, But I did not give him. I am pretty sure she is going to tell the same plan this time around. I don't know what to do? How can I increase his weight gain if necessary? or Is this normal? I am unable to figure out if he is getting enough or not. I can never make him take both breasts in a session. he is not taking it.Please Advice.

Default Re: Drop in supply and Pasty poop

He had big thick yellow poop, I have never seen this consistency earlier.
    How long had it been since the previous poop? That is normal consistency if it has been a while since baby last pooped. This consistency would not have anything to do with hind v. foremilk, both of those milks are almost entirely water - they are just not different in that respect.

Many babies start peeing less often around this age, and do not pee longer at night. It is the beginning of control.

He was 12 pounds 13 ounces at his 2 months check up
    Now he is 14 pounds 15 ounces as of today. (lost 3 to 4 ounces after a huge poop)
    As suggested by kelley mom doesn't he need to gain at least 1.5 pounds a month?
    Weight gain for a newborn (once baby stops loosing and starts gaining) is average 6-8 ounces a week, or about 1.5- 2 pounds a month. After two or three months of age, gain starts to slow, with gain in the neighborhood of 4-5 ounces per week or 1-1.5 pounds a month being the average. Of course not all babies gain the same, these are averages. If baby was a slower gainer to begin with, they may continue to be slower than average and it is entirely normal. But gain rate certainly normally starts slowing by about 3 months and continues to slow.

It was similar situation with his brother he was also on same weight exactly same, 15 pounds 2 ounces on his 4 month check up. and I remember doctor asked me to give him cereal, But I did not give him. I am pretty sure she is going to tell the same plan this time around. I don't know what to do? How can I increase his weight gain if necessary? or Is this normal? I am unable to figure out if he is getting enough or not. I can never make him take both breasts in a session. he is not taking it. Please Advice.
    If you are experiencing a healthy, happy, normally developing baby whose weight gain is a little slow, and your baby's pediatrician suggests baby needs solids including liquefied cereal to gain better, I would suggest get a second opinion. The current recommendation is exclusive breastfeeding until about 6 months. If a baby is not getting enough, optimizing breastfeeding would be the first intervention to be recommended with formula supplements being the second if the former intervention fails. But first you have to have a doctor willing to look beyond the number on the scale as there are other indicators of health and wellness and normal development.

Have you read My Child Won't Eat? I suggest that book strongly. Especially read the part about charts and also the part called "crisis at three months."
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; November 15th, 2017 at 06:38 PM.

Thank you Maddieb.

He was pooping once in two days, but after seeing this huge poop today I really doubt he will poop anytime soon.
    can a baby sleep through hunger? or play around since he is so distracted now? I am confused and I am driving myself crazy over this breastfeeding.

Can a baby sleep through hunger? Yes. A baby who is not getting enough to eat overall to the extent that you could say baby was actually starving, a baby who is dehydrated and losing weight? Yes, that baby would likely shut down and sleep a lot in order to save energy. I very much doubt this is your baby.

If a baby is encouraged to sleep unnaturally long hours with sleep lengthening techniques such as sleep training or meal scheduling, pacifier use, swaddling or baby sleeping remotely from mom, that baby may not cue normally. This is usually more of a risk in the very early months and less of a risk at this point, but it could still have an impact. But again, this does not sound like your situation.

However there is no harm in gently encouraging baby to nurse more often if you think that is needed. This is one intervention that never hurts and could help if baby really is not getting quite enough to eat. But I am just not even sure that is the case.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; November 15th, 2017 at 11:03 PM.

Thanks Maddieb. I can totally understand. He is not dehydrated. My only concern is he getting enough. he sleeps long streches during day time say for 3-4 hours when I had little bit of oversupply. Now the supply has either reduced or matched to his need(I am not sure). Now he wakes up even more during the night to feed (start of the sleep when my supply is lowest) he goes to bed by 9:30 after cluster nursing and he wakes up again at 11-12am, then again in 1.5 -2 hours, and then he starts to take little more long strech say 2-3 hours. He is nursing more than 12 times per day. Is that normal? But he doesn't seem crying or unhappy after every session. may get little fussy if the let down is slow.

Is it possible that he is not getting enough either one of the night time sessions? I know I am part of the reason for this night waking since I was encouraging him yo nurse often during the night. One of my friend she has a 4 month old and she says her baby diapers are huge and heavy in the morning, its never been like that for me since I returned to work. I am so confused and worried over this again and again. and I am sorry for posting so much and troubling you.

One of the myths about breastfeeding that is out there- in fact I spread it myself until I learned better- is that babies sleep more and more as they get older. In fact they of course sleep less and less, because newborns already sleep a total of much more than half the day, they cannot possible sleep any more. Well, at least not until they are teenagers.

What children do eventually start doing is consolidate sleep. They start sleeping longer periods, up to 5 or 6 and later, 8 or so, hours at a stretch. And usually, these long periods happen at night. But this usually will not start occurring until a child is well into toddler years- in fact it may not happen until they are older than 3!

So, in the meantime, what we normally see is a huge variety in sleep patterns. And yes, it is normal. Entirely.

When we talk about people getting enough to eat, I think it helps to think big picture. A person may not eat much at a particular meal. They may not even eat all that much for a whole day, or even several days. But then they have meals, or days, when they eat more. So overall, they are getting plenty to eat.

It really is not any different than babies, except babies have to eat so much more often overall than an older child or an adult. But they also are normally going to have a good deal of variety in how much they eat per meal or per day- and this is normal and fine as long as they are getting enough overall to develop and grow normally.

The only reason your baby would not be peeing "enough" would be dehydration. Diapers can vary so much- depending on what kind they are, what brand, size, how often they are changed, whether baby tends to pee during changes, whether baby has started to "hold" for any period of time, size of baby's bladder, etc. - this makes it hard to accurately compare them.

Thanks Madddieb. I think I have to attend a meeting so that I can talk to any mom and see if I make any sense. Because I am unable to explain my situation in words. Thanks for your help.

It is always a great idea to hang out with other breastfeeding moms. It can also be helpful to experience a variety of different babies, because behavior can vary so much. Hope you find the help you need.

Hello Maddieb I have a question, I was reading a old post and it said baby who does not poop for a week or even may not be getting enough milk. I am wondering if that is my case, he did not poop for 4 or 5 days except a small poop 3 days back.(I wouldnt consider as a good poop).

I am not even sure about wet diapers, I am confused. He stopped peeing all night, He feels content after each sesssion except before bed time cluster nursing, he nurse every 2-3 hours at night. looks happy, doesn't cry for milk. but no weight gain. it is remaining same for past two weeks. How can i figure out if he is getting enough? I feel like I am missing something. I feel like he has put a halt to his growth.

All his pees are clear urine. except his morning urine is little pale yellow. he is nursing more than 12 times a day. he never acted like he didn't get enough from breast. I am terribly confused and I lost my sleep over this. Now he woke up at 7 AM and did not want to nurse until 8:45AM and he nursed one side and happily sleeping.(He nursed at 6:15 AM though).

I made a mistake of not pumping enough at work, still i was bringing home the amount of milk he was drinking. I got my periods back when I went back to work.