Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping supply dropping drastically and quickly

Default Pumping supply dropping drastically and quickly

Hello everyone,

I have an eight month old daughter and a 3 year old son. I successfully nursed my son for a little over a year and I was hoping to do the same for my daughter. I am working full time so I am pumping for her.

Over the last few weeks what I pump has dropped by a few ounces and today seems even worse. I have added in two extra pumping sessions per day and started pumping for longer. I have also tried power pumping. So far nothing has increased my supply and if anything, it has dropped.

I have tried feeding my daughter more but she gets easily distracted by her older brother who she finds to be the most fascinating person in the world. I even try taking her to another floor of the house away from him but I swear, if she thinks she can hear him, she loses interest in nursing, pushes away from me and wants to go play with him.

Overall she seems a little different at nursing than my son. He really seemed to need nursing to calm down whereas she is far less interested in it. I am sure that is not helping my supply.

I am finally eligible for a new pump through my insurance so I am ordering a new one in case that's the issue.

Is there anything else I can try? I am terrified my supply is drying up and I won't make it another four months.

Default Re: Pumping supply dropping drastically and quickly

Can you provide more information? How much were you pumping before (per day and per session) and how much are you pumping now? How much does your child drink during your work days? Is she eating any solids yet?

Pump output does tend to reduce around this age. This does not always mean that overall production is lower or, even if it is, that it is "too low."

Kellymom.com has two excellent articles I suggest- one on low milk production and one on low pump output. If you have not already, I suggest check those out.

Default Re: Pumping supply dropping drastically and quickly

It sounds to me like you are doing the things we usually reccomend to increase supply. So my question is-how long ago did you add in the two pumping sessions and how much longer are you pumping for?
    Did you have a surplus before that was getting frozen? Are you still meeting her daily needs or do you need to supplement?

Way too lazy for formula