Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast supply OK for 9 days without aids but now !

Default Breast supply OK for 9 days without aids but now !

But now my breasts feel completely empty. Since last night. Usually overnight, LO drinks and the breasts feel full/hard, but last night, they were completely soft. She got frustrated and woke up every 3 hours instead of sleeping longer, drinking a little each time.

this morning my breasts were still feeling empty - has my milk supply suddenly dropped! I used to pump and take med, but stopped at the recommendation of my LC.

This morning LO drank and started crying (she is used to milk flow) and then just stopped. What should I do?

Please help!
    Last edited by @llli*bunnyears; November 13th, 2017 at 02:57 PM.

Default Re: Breast supply OK for 9 days without aids but now !

Milk production does not simply stop or significantly reduce for no reason. usually milk production is entirely normal and what you are describing is normal behavior and normal changes in the breasts.

The reasons there might not be enough milk at nine days is if something has happened to cause production to not be normal. That might be baby not nursing often enough ( less than 8 to 12 times per 24 hours) or if baby's latch and milk transfer is particularly bad or if you are taking or have been given something that might harm milk production such as hormonal birth control. These things are not typical, and if they have happened and caused a problem with production, the situation can be corrected.

Assuming you’re not on any milk production harming medication, and baby has been nursing often enough and well enough up to now to be getting enough to eat (you can use weight gain and poop output to figure out if baby is getting enough, remember it is normal for baby to lose some weight the first few days, and to be back to birth weight by 10-14 days) my guess is what you’re most likely seeing is a normal increase in nursing frequency and effectiveness. This is very common at this age as the newborn baby "wakes up" and begins to nurse more often and more vigorously -sometimes much more! This baby is the baby that is "always hungry" and so wants to nurse very frequently and will quickly cry if there is any delay in getting to the breast. This is all normal assuming weight gain is normal. As baby does this they empty the breasts more effectively and consequently the breasts feel softer, so that is also normal.

If you want to give us more info on weight gain, poop output and nursing patterns that may help us troubleshoot the situation as needed.

Ok wait. based on the post, I assumed you are talking about a newborn, but now I see there are posts from a couple months ago about a baby. If you are not talking about a newborn, it would help to have more info.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; November 13th, 2017 at 07:38 PM.

Hi Maddie

Sorry I should have given more context. LO is now 4 months old, and I was on domp/pumping for at least 2 months.
    Weight gain was good up until this point, so LC recommended I stop - the domperidone was giving me slight oversupply. LO poops once a day (very thick runny poo) and pees about 4-5 times a day.

Thank you.

Ok so your baby is pooping and peeing a normal amount (many babies this age do not poop daily.) What you are experiencing with how your breasts feel and baby is behaving sounds very typical for four months. There is even a term for it- The four month fussies. Many moms think they do not make enough milk at this age due to the normal changes in the breasts that occur when milk production regulates to enough, rather than too much. I suggest read the kellymom article on Low milk production - the first part. if you are still worried, please get back to me, also of course you might want to talk to your LC about your concerns. It is possible you went off the dom too fast or too early.