Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1 week old feeding 1-2 a night

Default 1 week old feeding 1-2 a night

I'm breastfeeding my LO and the past 3 nights she has slept up to 4.5hrs from 11pm-12am,had a feed, then another 3-4hrs. She's 8 days old and feeds alot in the evening and frequently throughout the day. My milk came in 3 days after birth and the 2 nights after she was cluster feeding 12-5am. Plenty of wet and soiled nappies so i'm not concerned about her getting enough atm.

I guess my question is, are these long gaps at night going to affect my milk production and should i be waking her to feed if so? Ive not been sleeping before her sleep stretches at night so not sure if this effects the prolactin levels? I'm aware her sleep may well change soon enough but wanted to check i'm not missing the boat with anything.

Default Re: 1 week old feeding 1-2 a night

Hi, it can be concerning when a baby this young nurses less frequently at night than we expect. My second baby did this and it freaked me out.

Is it a problem? Well, only if it is a problem. To figure that out, basically what you want to figure out is if this is a problem of an overly sleepy baby not nursing enough, or just your baby's normal (or at least "for now" normal.)

Is baby gaining normally? Pooping several times a day?

Is baby sleeping in a different room or otherwise, away from you? Is baby being swaddled for sleep, or using a pacifier? These are all sleep inducing techniques and might lead to a baby who is not waking "enough."

Are you getting full when baby takes these long stretches? Uncomfortable? This would indicate that whether or not baby actually needs more, your body is asking for more milk removal and no harm in seeing if baby will oblige.

Is baby nursing overall at least 10 times total in 24 hours? 10-15 times a day is the norm the first few weeks. If a baby is clustering part of the day, they may well take longer stretches other times and it is fine, but you want to see overall frequent milk removal.

If you think for any reason it would be better if baby nurses more at night, there is also no harm in picking baby up/gently stirring baby and seeing if baby will nurse.

Hi, thanks so much for your reply. I think shes gaining weight well and plenty of dirty nappies

She's feeding about 13 times a day and cluster feeds

Hi, thanks so much for your reply. I think shes gaining weight well (next midwife appt tomorrow) and plenty of dirty nappies

She's feeding about 15+ times a day and cluster feeds in the morning 8-10ish, around 6pm and again around 10pm (very roughly!). I do swaddle her at night but with her forearms out as she likes to rub her face, no pacifier. Shes in a side sleeper cot attached to our bed. I'm not uncomfortable anymore (i was during 48hrs when my milk came in, despite LO cluster feeding 12-5am both nights), though can feel a little full on one side if closer to 4hrs and not fed from that side the previous feed (she generally only feeds from one side outside of cluster feeds).

So i'm hoping this all means shes getting enough and milk production will be fine...?!

Yes. 8-12 times a day is in the normal realm. So if she is feeding 12 or MORE times in a 24hr period? You are doing fine. That's enough breast stimulation for production. And enough eating so that her weight gain should be fine.

Way too lazy for formula

Also if you have the breast capacity for your child to only feed off of one breast except when cluster feeding, only feeding off one side per feed is fine. My son did the whole 1st year of his life. My milk production was more than adequate.

Way too lazy for formula

Hi, thanks so much for your reply. I think shes gaining weight well (next midwife appt tomorrow) and plenty of dirty nappies

She's feeding about 15+ times a day and cluster feeds in the morning 8-10ish, around 6pm and again around 10pm (very roughly!). I do swaddle her at night but with her forearms out as she likes to rub her face, no pacifier. Shes in a side sleeper cot attached to our bed. I'm not uncomfortable anymore (i was during 48hrs when my milk came in, despite LO cluster feeding 12-5am both nights), though can feel a little full on one side if closer to 4hrs and not fed from that side the previous feed (she generally only feeds from one side outside of cluster feeds).

So i'm hoping this all means shes getting enough and milk production will be fine...?!
    This all sounds normal and indicates all is well. Just do not be surprised if the nursing patterns change over the next few weeks and baby starts wanting to nurse more often overnight. That is common too.

Thank you both. Good to get the reassurance. I know, will enjoy the extra sleep while i can!