Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sorry for too many posts. but please help

Default Re: Sorry for too many posts. but please help

I agree with djs.mom about topping off if you think it is needed.

I also forgot to mention that this is the age many moms see a difference in baby feeding behavior and how breasts feel. Also this is the time weight gain rate really does slow somewhat.

Here is good info from kellymom about how it is normal to see these changes in the breasts around 2-4 months. IN the first section of article. https://kellymom.com/hot-topics/low-supply/

Another idea is that your pump is doing something baby would not do, typically, and that is "empty" the breasts. Yes it is true as djsmom says, the body is always making milk. On the other hand, a breast can be "emptied" at least temporarily. If you are pumping until the milk flow is very slow, stopped, just drops, etc. you may well be taking more milk out of the breasts at a pump session than baby would take when nursing. And maybe that is impacting how much milk baby can get at the breast at least for several hours after you get home from work.

EXACTLY THIS IS MY PROBLEM. So because of this my let is down is slow all evening from 6-10pm. he may pee only twice during that time frame. and he nurses more frequently than usual and he sleeps longer streches the next day. Is it ok if I follow this pumping schedule.

7:15- nurse baby one side
    7-30-8:00 -pump during commute
    11- 12 pm either nurse or pump
    2:00 pm -pump
    5:00-5:30 . pm- Go home and nurse. (I get 3 hour gap So I have enough milk for him)

I know I don't get too much milk, Thats why I scared to pump less. But may be I will try not to pump until drops. I really want this to work. It breaks my heart to see him not gaining enough and growing even with enough milk.

Is it really ok in supplementing whatever I pumped on that day in the evening?
    Does that not affect my supply in the evening time?

Thanks Maddieb and Djs Mom. I will look at the article for sure. I will follow this schedule and see how it works this week.,

That schedule sounds ok, so why not give it a try and see how it goes.

Is it really ok in supplementing whatever I pumped on that day in the evening? Does that not affect my supply in the evening time?
    Yes you want to try to supplement no more than needed, or as little as possible, but at the same time, feeling good that baby is getting enough.

To understand the risk, it is important to understand why there is the concern that supplements hurt production so you do not become overly concerned about this possibility. Lowered production from supplementing happens if the supplementing causes baby to nurse less than an optimal amount. At this point your baby is nursing with a very high frequency when you are home, plus you are pumping an appropriate frequency during separations, so I think you have wiggle room where baby nursing slightly less due to a little bit of your milk given as an evening supplement is not going to hurt anything- and it might help if it helps you relax a bit and get a teeny bit more sleep!

So, I would suggest if you are going to try a little supplement of your milk at home, start with a very small amount at a time- a half of an ounce to 1 ounce maybe? Because you will also presumably be encouraging baby to nurse as well at about the same time. I do not mean only that much all night, I mean, try a little at a time and see how it goes.

Also I suggest play around with when exactly you supplement- sometimes supplementing before a nursing session might work better than after, there is no reason to do it one way or the other every time as long as the amount it small. I would also suggest, no need for supplement to be in a bottle. A syringe or small open cup may work well for these small amounts. This is not necessary if it is too difficult, but generally what you want to avoid is baby becoming so habituated to bottles they no longer want to nurse, and using a bottle alternative for supplements given when you are at home may help prevent that at least somewhat.

If you like, try the at home supplemental feeding a few days and adjust amounts and techniques as necessary. Basically you will just have to see how it goes!
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; October 30th, 2017 at 12:14 AM.

Thanks a lot maddieb.I will try for sure.