Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Latch better at full breast - help!!!!!

Default Re: Latch better at full breast - help!!!!!

How often is to have any latch issues with 6m old baby??? I feel it is something most women deal at the beginning. And that if you persist enough babies will eventually outgrow most issues.
    I know breastfeeding shoulf be the most easiest way of baby feeding. But as time goes, I am not sure is it right choice for my baby. Sometimes it seems he just can not do it. Even in his dream he has latch issues.
    Last night I cried again. He wanted to nurse before sleep. He started to nurse. Again he stopped due to air swalowing. Again he became nervous. Again I had to put him to sleep "hungry" and then nurse in sleep. And it is like that all the time.

Maddieb, I gave him 2 oz of formula today. He again started to refuse to nurse. I just don't know what to do anymore. Why is this happening to me? I asked for help from so many people....why no one can't help. I just don't understand why he can't nurse... So many questions in my head and no answers. Why I just can not accept this situation and move on. I really tought as he grows things will improve. But they are not.
    Last edited by @llli*tonica.mom; November 14th, 2017 at 06:05 AM.

Hi again, I am so sorry you are feeling so very frustrated. Honestly, I cannot tell you why your baby has these issues beyond what we have already discussed. But I do think you are perhaps tending to focus on the negative a bit? For example, saying baby can't nurse when baby can nurse, or saying baby cannot nurse "nicely" when there is not really any such thing...in other words many babies nurse in ways that would not be described as "nicely" but they are doing fine.

Having a million questions, being tense over nursing, worrying a lot- all this is very, very common when there have been serious breastfeeding issues of any kind. So I understand that it can be hard to be happy about very small, gradual improvements or to have perspective when there are steps backward. But the fact is, that is how progress usually comes- slowly and with steps back.

I could certainly be wrong, but I am getting the feeling that others in your life are pressuring you to "accept this situation and move on." Meaning, they are telling you to stop nursing. Certainly, you have "accepted" your baby and are meeting his needs at either breast or bottle as you are finding necessary, so to me that would be mean you are "accepting" the situation.

As I have tried to say before, your value as a mother is not in any way measured by when you stopped nursing your child. I promise you that! Your baby will love you just as much and will be the person they are going to be whether you nurse further or not. We are not here to try to convince you to keep trying when you are done. When you are done, you are done and I entirely respect that and respect YOU.

On the other hand, I hate to see moms pressured to stop "trying" before they are ready. I have talked to many moms who regretted that they stopped "trying" because they were pressured by others to stop or did not get the support for continuing that they needed. Moms who stopped "trying" on their own terms, no matter when they did so, always seem to have far better levels of acceptance for themselves and happiness with their decision.

Do you have any hints/tricks for side-lying position? How to make best of it, in terms that baby feels good and supported? Some facts like you had for laid back position and research that was done for prone/supine positioning during breastfeeding... I found that kind of info not only interesting, but also helpful for understanding of my baby.
    Maybe I am missing something on this side-lying.
    Is lack of suck-swallow -breathe coordination inherent only to babies with some health problems (like our case)? Or other babies have this issues too?
    He is really having hard times with that coordination. Sometimes even during sleep.

I am happy to offer tips about side lying based on my own experience and that of other mothers I have helped over the years. I do not think there is research specifically about side-lying as there is with laid back- but like laid back, sidelying is definitely a position mothers and babies/nursing children have used for time immemorial as it is so clearly a comfortable and natural position for both mom and baby, and in fact only gets more natural and comfortable the older the child is.

It would help to know what you are currently doing now as far as side-lying goes, and what about side-lying is not working for you.

Is lack of suck-swallow -breathe coordination inherent only to babies with some health problems (like our case)? Or other babies have this issues too?
    I do not know.

Tucked chin (nose in the breast, chin away from the breast). I wonder is this his way of blocking milk flow because it seems that no matter how much I try, I can't get him to extend his head and "open" his throat. And many moms with babies with LM said it helps when their throat is open, including bottlefed and breastfed babies. I noticed too with bottle how he can suck nicely when he extends his head.
    I noticed in first few days after birth that he has tendecy to be "above" the breast. But I just tried to pull him down a bit, and I was happy when my nipple was in middle of him mouth since we had no problem of milk transfer during first two months. But gradually, especially as he was getting more and more mobile, he was pushing himself more and more above breast. And doing some strange twist with his head toward pillow before latching. Even when I did get him down, he would grab a nipple and then pull his head down again. Also, sometimes he is pushing his head in my breast. Like he is trying to get in deeper. Although, there are times when he, by himself and when asleep, extends his head, usually after let down reflex.
    We use side-lying during sleep. When awake he is not happy in this position. I feel that he is not happy with his nose being blocked by my breast tissue, especially since he is always breathing quickly. He looks uncomfortable and like he is having hard times organizing himself.
    Yesterday he was lightly suckling during sleep, and suddenly he started to gasp for air. It happened twice. I don't know did he "forget" to breathe or just too much milk pooled in his mouth because he did not swallow regularly.

Lining baby up so babies nose is to nipple to start is a good first step. This makes it so baby can tilt head back, opening up the throat. Baby may need to adjust how open he is.

Try snuggling baby into you firmly by pulling on baby's Bottom. If you think about it geometrically, this brings baby into you nice and snug and firm, but the alignment (Butt in, so head is tilted very slightly out) keeps baby's nose clear. Also, some moms find they need to gently push or pull gently on their breast tissue to clear an area for baby's nose. Remember that a nose shape typically allows for air flow from the sides of the nostrils, so a nose tip may look buried to you but baby has plenty of air.

Maybe try letting baby/encourage baby to knead your breast with his hands? He may be trying to control flow all with his head. he can do some of this with his hands.

But generally, baby smushing his head into the breast is normal nursing behavior. I mean, it is common. If it is causing a problem, usually mom adjusts herself of baby until they stop. Lots of this adjusting is pretty much unconscious.