Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping for occasional nurser

Default Pumping for occasional nurser

I need advice how much I need to pump and what amount for my baby that is reaching 6m in two weeks.
    Our situation is sad one. I had plenty of milk and baby was gaining very very well at the beginning. But somehow (that is for separated post) our nursing relationship deteriotated to the point that he will nurse only in sleep. And last few days he is not sleeping so much and I can feel my supply dropping down. I used to pump between 2-4 times per day to get 200-300 mL for him to give him some milk while awake.
    Yesterday he hardly nursed and I pumped only 570 mL.
    I do not think I can devote all my time to pumping. And I guess formula is waiting for us. But is there a way to keep at least some amount of milk for him until he reaches 1y without having pumping 8 times per day? I have also 3y old toddler. And this whole situation with junior not wanting to nurse hit us all so hard on so many ways.
    All infos that I have found until now are mostly realtive for exclusive pumping. And I hope he will at least continue to nurse in his sleep. So how to combine pumping with sporadic nursing?

Default Re: Pumping for occasional nurser

It sounds like your baby is having a nursing strike. I know it's difficult with a 3 yo as well, but is there any way you can spend some time in bed with just baby, doing lots of skin to skin (ie a nursing vacation). I would suggest searching 'nursing strike' on the forum for some other good ideas.

If that's not an avenue you want/are able to pursue, I think you'd have to pump at least a couple times/day to keep some supply if your LO isn't nursing much. I wouls try to pump at the same time every day. And definitely continue to offer to nurse!

ETA: I just saw your other post. It really does sound like you've got a complicated situation going on. I'm not sure I have much to add other than what was suggested in the other post. I think if you can manage to condense your issues down to a few sentences, you might try emailing Dr. Jack Newman. He's really good about getting back to people in a timely fashion, but their contact page is pretty strict on how many words you can send https://ibconline.ca/ask-a-breastfeeding-question/
    Last edited by @llli*carm3; October 30th, 2017 at 07:19 AM.

I did contacted him. Accoring to dr. Newman it is matter of milk flow. According to Catherine Watson Genna laryngomalacia played its role.
    I did tried domperidone. At first it looked promising. But after few days we went to same old refusal.

Hi again tonica,

I found this other thread of yours, so I guess, it is a better place for discussing pumping.
    As I said, IMO, the only way to combine pumping with sporadic nursing is using SNS. This way you aren't afraid to pump on good schedule and have an "empty breast" when he's sleeping and will nurse (even if the breast is never really empty bla bla, you know what I mean).

Of course, the more you pump, the better is the output. And of course, it can be difficult when you have a baby and a toddler. But as I said, try to make pumping something you do while multitasking. I bought Medela Freestyle and a hands-free pumping bra. It helps a lot if you have to pump 6 times a day. I survived this way for 2.5 months, pumping after EVERY nursing session trying to get my milk back. Sure, my life was a horror and I don't wish this kind of life to anyone, but hey, on the bright side, you'll only pump and nurse sporadically, it's not like nursing 10 times and then pumping 10 times a day :-) And yes, Freestyle is not as good as Symphony for maintaining supply, but much better for maintaining your sanity. And if your son still nurses at least few times a day, this may be ok (my LC told me I'll be fine).

For domperidone, I don't understand: why did you think it will improve the way your son nurses? As far as I understand, you had a strong flow already, or am I confused?
    In terms of supply, I'm pretty sure domperidone will help you. You already had a very good supply, so it's exactly the case where domperidone helps. However, it may start working after a week or so, and the best result can be seen 6 weeks later.

According to dr. Newman probably my supply was not as high as it was (which does not mean that there is not enough milk). And with better flow babies can get good latch more easily.
    I saw increase in milk supply within 24h with dom. However, I only nursed then. Later when I started nursing and pumping I saw more consistent supply although I went from 90mg/day to weaning dose of 30 mg/day.
    But according to Catherine Watson Genna, babies with LM can have really hard time during first 6m, especially during 3rd and 4th month. So, although he was still reluctant nurser then, when he nursed he got plenty of milk.
    I have some domperidone coming in next few days (order quite some time ago). I am not sure what to do with it.
    I am quite certain even at this point I do have enough milk for my baby. Just, I am not sure did he reach point where he is strong enough to keep that supply. And I am quite sure he has some "sweet spot" with particular flow where he feels ok and coordinated. So, it would be nice to encourage him with a bit stronger flow to nurse more often. But at the same time I have to be careful that it is not too much so that he feels overwhelmed.
    As I said, I tried sns quite a few time. And it does not work for us.
    Last edited by @llli*tonica.mom; November 6th, 2017 at 06:53 AM.