Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorry for too many posts. but please help

Default Sorry for too many posts. but please help

Hello Everyone

It has been a problem since I returned to work. my baby is 3 months old. weighing 14lbs 3 oz. I pump thrice at work

7:15 am- dream feed him one side.
    7:45 am-pump both breasts while driving to work - 2 - 2.5oz
    10 am- pump 3-4 oz with one letdown. less than 10 minutes pumping
    12- 1pm- nurse him at home or pump - 3-4 oz one letdown
    3-4 pm-pump 3-4 oz one letdown .

meanwhile baby does not drink much, he is little sleepy all day because he nurse overnight at least thrice.

Morning sometimes he may take unto 3-4 oz paced feeding like 1.5 oz then after 20 minutes 2oz and goes to sleep. thats how he used to nurse with me. he nurse one side play for half an hour nurse other side and go to sleep for 2-3 hours. So when I come home to nurse at lunch time he is always asleep so I have to dream feed him both side and he continues to sleep until 2:30 or 3Pm. even if he woke up. he will take half to 1 oz on top of nursing after I leave to work and goes to sleep sometimes until 4 pm.

baby wakes up at 4 pm take 2-3 ounces and plays for sometime, I come home at 5:30 and I nurse him. Since he did not take whatever I pumped the whole day, or at least reasonable amount. he is. not getting enough all evening,. his wet diapers become less. he nurse often. (I am not bothered with his cluster nursing) I just want him to get enough. he nurse overnight every 2 hours. I can hear him swallowing.

there are days he has taken 4 oz in the morning, nursing session in the noon, and then unto 3-4 oz in the mid afternoon. those days he is really fine,. I come home at 5 :30 nurse him , those days wet diapers are good,. So if he takes atleast 10 oz while I am away he is fine. he is really happy . If he takes less milk I am very sure he is not getting enough in 24 hours. please help how can I fix this.

SO I am really confused how to make this work. say this Friday I nursed him at 7:15. he woke up and after I left he just took 0.75 oz slept until 11:45Am. and then he took 4 oz, slept until 4 pm. (my mom woke him up to feed since he was sleeping for long time) he then took 3 ounces. But I have pumped thrice at work. got 12-13 ounces.
    I nursed him after I came home. and I can definitely say that he is not getting enough. ( he is not crying or he is not fussy) but its my mother instinct that I am very sure he is not getting enough milk in a total 24 hours since I returned to work.

My questions are I feel like he is missing a feeding, but I pump a extra feeding session. thats what I feel. But I am not sure how to fix it. I always encourage him to nurse at night,. I feel it is backfiring now, since he sleep so much during day and missing a feeding,. Please Please help. If this continues I have to quit my job.

Baby is fine with the bottle. he will take milk from a bottle. there are no issues with that.
    Last edited by @llli*nivilovely; October 28th, 2017 at 12:08 PM.

Default Re: Sorry for too many posts. but please help

After pumping thrice at work. my breasts are very empty( I know breasts are never empty) , let downs are very slow. I never had this issue when I was nursing exclusively. I think I have little bit of oversupply because when I don't pump on weekends and elf. my breasts start to feel achy after 2-3 hours since it gets full, since I religiously pump every 3 hours at work, I don't have that problem while I am working.

I have a scale at home. he did not gain much since I returned to work. may be 4 oz in 2 weeks.

Hi. That weight gain is concerning as it is slow for a baby this age. However sometimes babies gain in fits and starts. Is this a digital infant scale you are using, baby unclothed?

I am confused about exactly how many times in 24 hours baby is nursing and how much baby is taking each day from the bottles. Looking at your written out schedule it seems like baby is eating a lot, so I must be missing something. Can you reduce the above to those two facts?

Babies get milk when they nurse no matter what time of day they nurse. Also, unless they are being overly encouraged to sleep (pacifier, swaddling, swing, sleeping apart from the household etc) a healthy 3 month old child is not likely to not wake and ask to eat if they are hungry, whether it is day or night. So I am not sure how baby nursing lots at night could be causing slower gain. Since you have only been back 2 weeks, I wonder if baby is kind of shutting down during the day due to the stress of that situation, in which case baby may simply need a little more time to get used to the new normal. It sounds like baby is taking in pretty large bottles when baby takes a bottle.

Could your mom try holding baby more, even when baby is asleep? In a sling or not? This might encourage baby to wake more often so there is less chance baby will 'sleep through' a feeding.

Hi,

I get anywhere from 7-12 ounces from three pump output. baby eats bits and pieces like 2 oz ,one hour later 1.5 oz. so for total he may take anywhere from 6-9 ounces.mostly 6-7 oz. 9oz are very rare. even with or without a nursing session at lunch. baby nurses at least 12 times. he takes 3 or 4 oz only if he sleeps for long strech say 3 hours. then he will take 3 oz at a time.

I have really few questions. I just don't understand the logic behind milk making. I pump thrice and practically come home with quite floppy breast than usual. (my breasts definetly has more milk during weekends). Once I come home I nurse him it gets even more floppy. so he wants to nurse every hour in the evening, since naturally I make less milk all through the evening than day time. he sometimes gets upset because of the let down is very slow. takes 30-45 seconds. (wet diapers are low ). he nurse frequently at night than usual. (I think sometimes he wakes up out of habit too)

So Say from Morning 7 to evening 5:30pm, he took 7 ounces and I pumped 12 ozs for that day and come home with a floppy breast. How come he gets enough milk all through the evening. I just don't understand the logic. I am sorry If I am not getting it. But I don't have peace at work since he is not gaining any weight. And whoever see him tells me his tiny.
    When I am at home during weekends, his poops at least once a day, but during weekdays poops once in 2 days.
    My mom is ready to give him milk by paced feeding. I will ask her not to encourage him to sleep more.

I have a digital scale. It is accurate, because it has always showed me exact same weight as his pediatrician office. his 2 month check up he was 12 pounds 13 ounces. on sap26th, as of today he is 14 pounds 4 ounces.

You are always making milk. And it's all supply and demand. So if your baby begins reverse cycling while you are at work, you will continue to make enough for him as long as he demands it. So if you have 4 extra oz that he hasn't eaten during the day and you feel like he is struggling to get milk out of you, what happens to the extra 4 oz? Where is that fitting into you day?

Way too lazy for formula

Yes Thats my question too. If he don't enough during, how would he get enough milk . he is nursing frequently at night. Can baby get enough milk with reverse cycling? I can clearly say he is getting upset in the evening. he goes to bed by 10pm. he is keep on sucking to see if he gets any milk after a let down.but he does not cry or act really fussy like he is hungry. he just go to sleep but wake up often for feeds. I have never supplemented him with my expressed milk so far.

I don't have this problem while I am with him all day, he is really getting plenty and even during evening and night time he nurses and pulls him off and goes to sleep.

What I really feel is pumping makes my breast very empty, so let down are so slow, he gets less milk than usual. i don't know how to fix this and get a balanced point. I am totally confused. I am sorry If I am behaving so silly. But I feel like I am not able to convey my issue properly.

I have enough milk for him to grow. but this pumping at work and something is happening, which I am unable to fix it. I just don't understand what to do.

OK, to me it sounds like your baby is getting enough. I think you think baby should be eating exactly how much you are able to pump... and that is not how it usually works. Just because you can pump 12 ounces some days does not mean that is what baby needs or got from the breast before. 6-9 ounces in bottles is reasonable for an 8-9 hour separation especially since baby is nursing once during that time. If you are separated for longer than that, let me know. As far as baby nursing lots overnight, that is typical for this age and even more typical if baby is separated from mom during the day. And yes, baby can get enough milk nursing overnight. Also, I disagree that reverse cycling is a "thing" for a child this age. Babies sleep in short spurts and feed frequently day and night, it is normal, and not a reverse of anything.

What does concern me is that you are feeling like something is going on with your breasts. Breast pumps have been known to cause breast injury, so I think you might want to think about if there is something about your pump routine or the pump itself that might need to be tweaked.

Another idea is that your pump is doing something baby would not do, typically, and that is "empty" the breasts. Yes it is true as djsmom says, the body is always making milk. On the other hand, a breast can be "emptied" at least temporarily. If you are pumping until the milk flow is very slow, stopped, just drops, etc. you may well be taking more milk out of the breasts at a pump session than baby would take when nursing. And maybe that is impacting how much milk baby can get at the breast at least for several hours after you get home from work.

So maybe, you can try pumping a little less when at work, and see how that impacts the situation? I would not suggest pumping less often, but instead pump slightly less milk out each time? Your output is not that high, so I really mean, just a little less. But maybe 12 ounces is more than you need to pump every day.

You might also consider changing the time of your last pump, make it earlier?

Also if even doubt? Top off with pumped milk. If your baby needs more milk_you have some! You made it for today! No harm in feeding it to him today!

Way too lazy for formula