Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Would Milk bleb lower supply?

Default Would Milk bleb lower supply?

Hi all,

My second LO is 8.5 months and I recently developed my first milk bleb. I didn't know what it was at first until I had my annual well woman's visit and mentioned it to my care provider who diagnosed it. It popped up about a week or more ago, and since it started, I have noticed my pump supply decreasing. I usually get about 13 oz a day, then last week it was about 12 oz and today it's only been 10 oz. It feels more uncomfortable today on the pump than it had before, so I'm wondering if that is contributing to the overall lower pump supply (it isn't just low on the side where the bleb is). Does this sound normal? (I will mention that we just closed on a new house, and I have been facilitating the entire thing, so maybe stress related too).

I reviewed Kelly Mom and LLL milk bleb treatments and will start as soon as I get home today. There isn't a white head on the bleb, though, and it doesn't look like there's much skin to pick off. I think I'll go ahead and lance tonight. I just don't want it to become a plugged duct or worse. Any other advice?

Thanks all.

Default Re: Would Milk bleb lower supply?

Reduced pump output is often caused by a poorly performing pump, and that would also contribute to a milk bleb if mom is relying on a pump frequently for milk removal. So my first suggestion would be to troubleshoot your pump.

Many things can cause reduced pump output, which is not the same as reduced milk production although of course the two could be related. Kellymom has a great article on "not pumping enough milk" that explains lots about this.

Also, many times fluctuations in pump output and/or in milk production just happen, and are normal.