Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this a low milk supply again?

Default Is this a low milk supply again?

Baby is 2 months old. I'm sorry for posting so much and asking silly questions. But I am so sad and confused. Since we were talking about the over supply in the previous post by me. I think now it has ended up in low supply. For past 5 days his weight remains the same. 12 pounds 12-15 ounces depending upon his feed. He is nursing every one to 1.5 hours all day long. And frustrated about the slow flow at times. His pooping and peeing has reduced a lot. Still he is wetting every diaper and poops 3_4 times a day. My question is if he is not satisfied in a nursing session wouldn't he cry? Or they get distracted at this age? Would a hungry baby go to sleep? Today is the worst day of past three days because he is nursing every now and then. He has alert times. Coos talks smiles to me. Even while nursing. Does a hungry baby do this? But his weight remains same. During my oversupply days he gained really well. Atleast an ounce a day.

I am so upset that I keep on failing him. I can pump again and try to bring the supply up. But since he is nursing all day. When. Should I pump? Please help .

Weight history

Birth _ 8 pounds 13 ounces.
    Lost a pound in 4 days. 7 pounds 12 ounces .
    Took 19 days to regain birth weight.

2 months 12 pounds 12 ounces

Default Re: Is this a low milk supply again?

Weight gain is never steady. I am sure you have heard of growth spurts. Well in fact growth normally comes in spurts with times of slower growth or plateaus in between. Also if something unusual occurs, such as if baby is ill they may even lose a tiny bit of weight, and all of this would be normal growth pattern as long as the over all growth trend is normal.

Recommendations vary country to country, but in general the recommendation is for babies to be weighed every couple of month, not every week or every few days, and one reason is because weight gain taken too frequently is unneeded and can cause needless concern.

At this point you do not even need to consider your baby's birth weight or lowest weight. According to the above, baby weighed 8 pounds 13 ounces on day of life 19, or at about 3 weeks of age. Over the next 5-6 weeks, baby gained 4 pounds, or on average about 1 and a half ounces per day. This is significantly faster than average gain for this age. In other words a temporary gain plateau would not bring your baby's gain average to below normal.

I would also suggest thinking about what would make your supply reduce? Milk production does not simply reduce for no reason. If baby is nursing at least 10 times in 24 hours then the issue would not be one of not frequent enough milk removal. Are you remaining hydrated? Are you taking hormone based birth control? Is anything at all going on that would cause milk production to reduce?

I doubt this is going on, but one thing that is an acknowledged cause of weight gain slowdown around this age is when a baby is not very effective at milk removal. What happens is that when the milk production is very high, baby does not need to nurse all that well to get enough. So problems only come to light when milk production naturally reduces to "enough" rather than "too much." With your body only making "enough" and a baby who is not transferring milk well, then you might see an abnormal weight gain slow down and, over time, an actual issue of low production developing. So if you are that concerned, I would suggest seeing an IBCLC so that breastfeeding can be assessed (or re-assessed) to rule out this possibility.

Thanks for the response. No I am not having harmonal birth control. One thing I always fear is I use nipple shield. Baby initially had trouble latching and emptying the breast. But after after the use of nipple shield he started nursing longer than usual. I tried to wean it but still with nipple shield he nurses little more than without it. I am always worried that it would cause my supply to drop . Since now oversupply has calm down I try to wean him from that. But he is not accepting it. I am still working on it. I did pump an ounce from the morning session to save it. That's the day his pee diapers reduced and he started to nurse every hour. But still he was content each session.because he cooed smiled at me. I am working on him to take bottle. Because I have to go back to work in 3 weeks. And he forgot how to drink from a bottle.

To bring him birth weight I was supplementing with pumped milk and little bit of formula. But I stopped supplementing before he was even a month old.

Well yes, use of a nipple shield changes the picture a bit. Nipple shield use is linked to less effective milk removal, and that of course could lead to slower gain and issues with milk production.

What is not understood (at least last I looked at this issue) is whether the concern with shields is linked more to the shield itself, or to whatever latch issue the shield is addressing.

But the general recommendation when using shields is to pump as well, basically when you can. Probably it is not always needed, pumping is a way of safeguarding production if there is any problem.

Babies can be fed with cups if they are refusing bottles. Let me know if you want more info.

hello sorry for the late response. I was working on weaning him from the nipple shield. and I was able to wean him completely. he is feeding well. but I used to be so prone to plugs on my right side with my first baby. so I got a plugged duct again yesterday this time for the first time. When I was using nipple shields I never had this problem. I guess bad latch or something else I am not sure. I used to take lecithin last time and it did not help at all. Does plugged duct reduce the supply? I see a small white dot on my nipple. Should I poke it and remove it? I used to be so full than this and never got plugged duct while using nipple shield. but now I am not even insanely full and without nipple shield I got a plugged duct for the first time. So Once I get rid of this I am thinking to use nipple shield at least for the right side and see if it helps. I really hope it doesn't affect my supply so much. baby still has plenty of wet diapers and poops.

Actually after I posted. I took a hot shower and popped the blister to open. And all the flowed out. I wish I would have done this earlier.

The reason for the use of nipple shield is he used to take at least 5 minutes to latch on my right side when he was a newborn. So I started to use one.

Glad you feel better after popping the bleb. I am not experienced with these so I defer to LLL and kellymom on how to handle those!

As far as the shield, again, there is no consensus on how much these contribute to low production- or rather I think it is currently thought that if, how much and why shields contribute to low production is going to vary situation to situation. It is known that shields tend to reduce fast flow and in fact are used for this very purpose frequently. So something is up with shields. However I think it can be argued that if using the shield helps baby nurse more often, longer, and/or more effectively, then the shield would be better for milk production than not using the shield. So one sided shield use sounds like a reasonable compromise to me.