Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rough nurser

Default Rough nurser

Hi all, is it normal for toddlers to nurse a bit tougher as they get older? My two year old isn't biting or anything, but I feel like I am being attacked by a vacuum cleaner or something...crazy sucking that is mildly uncomfortable.

Default Re: Rough nurser

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scoob626 View Post
    My two year old isn't biting or anything, but I feel like I am being attacked by a vacuum cleaner or something...
    Mine had a short period of doing the vacuum clearer style (at around one year). But it passed as we always re-adjusted the latching so she wouldn't take too much of my boob.

Default Re: Rough nurser

Nursing a toddler is definitely a different feeling than nursing a newborn! Bigger, stronger mouth = stronger suction. That said, by age 2 you can definitely work on nursing manners - ie, "that's too rough for mama, please be gentle" and ending the nursing session. You don't have to wait long to let him try again, but that little break will help him to figure out that if he doesn't nurse nicely, he doesn't get to nurse!

Another thing to think about is whether you're getting your period back (if you haven't already) or if you're possibly pregnant - both things that can make it a little more uncomfortable to nurse.