Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Issue with biting

Default Issue with biting

My 13 MO is cutting two of her top teeth, and has taken to biting down on my nipple (hard!) when I try and nurse her. I've just gone back to work so I'm offering her a nursing session 2-3 times a day, depending on when she wakes up. But the way things are going she is often only getting 1 good session in. I think she's frustrated that the milk isn't flowing immediately and then bites me. I've tried telling her no and unlatching but she either cries and gets very upset or just does it again. I really want to keep nursing her but worried that this biting thing may make that difficult... I do think it's teething related but am not sure what to do! Help?

Default Re: Issue with biting

Often teething is short-lived, especially if your consistent in how you handle it. You can pre-emptively end the feed when you see your LO slowing down/finished to prevent the opportunity to bite. You can break suction, end the feed, put baby down and tell her no; and usually if your consistent they get it, like, oh, okay, if I do that, I can't nurse. And you can give her something she CAN teeth on after you take her off. One of my kiddos loved it when I would rub his gums and he would nurse contently afterwards.

Repetitive biting is really difficult- my daughter did this around the year mark and it was so frustrating and painful. After a while, she just stopped. In talking with other moms about repetitive biting this seems to be the typical pattern, it just goes away as mysteriously as it came on.

Very good general article with many tips on how to handle biting: https://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/biting/

This happened with my twins. One thing that helped was always having an alternate thing available during nursing that was appropriate to bite: they liked silicone teething rings and those silicone teething necklaces that you (the mom) wear. Whenever they would bite, I would unlatch, and say (firmly but kindly) "You can't bite mommy. Bite this!" And I would give them the item they could bite. I won't say it eliminated biting, but it helped and they really liked biting those objects while teething. It seemed to give them a lot of relief.

Also, you may find that you can predict when they are going to bite. My twins would both start making a certain noise -- it was sort of like "nom nom nom" but in an agitated way, like their teeth were hurting or something. I started offering the teething object when I heard that sound, and they would usually be glad to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maddieb View Post
    Repetitive biting is really difficult- my daughter did this around the year mark and it was so frustrating and painful. After a while, she just stopped. In talking with other moms about repetitive biting this seems to be the typical pattern, it just goes away as mysteriously as it came on.

Very good general article with many tips on how to handle biting: https://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/biting/
    My son also did this around 9 mths and around 1 yr. It lasted about two weeks both times. The same with my daughter when she was about one.

I also followed advice from that site, kellymom. Stopped nursing, explained it hurts. Had a little break and then continued. I didn't take too long breaks, because I was afraid of nursing strikes, especially when my son was only 9 mths.