Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby is 11 months and I'm not pumping much

Default Baby is 11 months and I'm not pumping much

I BF on demand at home and nurse approx 6 x daily when I'm home and 3-4x daily on work days. I am pumping one time a day when I work and getting about 3 oz. I've burned through my stash to send her 4 oz bottles. My question is Can I just send her with the 3 oz I pump? She eats three meals a day plus snacks. The other option would be to supplement the 3 oz with formula as I do not want to add a pumping session at this point, I am completely over that.

My gut tells me that is she just drinks the 3 oz, I breast feed her at lunch and she eats her meals and we BF on demand at home she'll be fine. What do you think?

Default Re: Baby is 11 months and I'm not pumping much

Yep. I think that's fine. If she needs more liquid than that while away from you I'd use water. She is still getting plenty of breastmilk and if she is eating her solids she should be fine. I went back to work at 14 months and had been feeding on demand up until that point and I never pumped and I never used any milk substitutes. My son drank water while away from me, ate solids and we still nursed on demand while together. I think you are fine.

Way too lazy for formula

With my twins, around that age they got funny about whether or not they'd take a bottle of expressed milk. My doctor said during separations of a few hours, simply leave solid foods, and if needed a bit of water in a cup or even a couple ounces of cow's milk.

My kid wouldn't really play around with Cow's milk until he was over 2. It seemed weird to him. Like...it wasn't as sweet as BM so why? He did eat plenty of cheese and yogurt at that age tho!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    My kid wouldn't really play around with Cow's milk until he was over 2. It seemed weird to him. Like...it wasn't as sweet as BM so why? He did eat plenty of cheese and yogurt at that age tho!
    I think that is true of a lot of kids, for sure. Mine drank it, a little, but not as much as they do now.

To the OP:

I was going to add that I personally would not start an 11 month old on formula because it's not necessary, they might refuse it anyway, and it can cause constipation or other digestive issues. It sounds like you're providing plenty of options without it!