Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Slowed (but still good) weight gain--everything okay?

Default Slowed (but still good) weight gain--everything okay?

From birth to 4 weeks, my baby gained an average of 2.3 ounces per day. Then from 4 to 7 weeks, he only gained .75 ounces per day on average. I know that is still okay, and that 2.3 ounces was a huge gain, AND that milk regulates at 4 weeks. I just expected a more gradual shift. Is this a red flag at all or is it normal? I still pump once a day to prepare for going back to work one day per week and my output has not changed. (Incidentally, I have way more milk stored than I will ultimately use at work. Should I start feeding part of my daily pump output back to the baby and freezing the rest?)

Thank you!

Default Re: Slowed (but still good) weight gain--everything okay?

How much milk do you have frozen and when do you go back?

Way too lazy for formula

Hmm...I must have 100 ounces. Starting in two weeks, I'll go back one day per week, for a half day. I'll pump while I'm there, too. So I should be pumping most or all of what I need for the following week that day. I had started pumping to prepare for my return to work and also to deal with oversupply/engorgement at the beginning. Baby will be 9 weeks old by then.

His birth weight was 8 lb 9 oz and weight at 7 weeks check up was 12 lb 5 oz.

I do feel my supply has regulated (I was having discomfort for the first four weeks) but given baby's diaper output, I was surprised to see the rate of weight gain slow so much. I haven't had any of the normal culprits like going on birth control, etc. I do have three year old twins that also need my attention so maybe I'm not managing breastfeeding as well. Trying to nurse a lot this weekend and will be more aware in future. Baby has started sleeping longer stretches--his choice, not my influence. He sleeps right next to me although usually after a late night feed he spends most of the night in my arms. Hard to say how much of that time is spent nursing...
    Last edited by @llli*jollycat; September 9th, 2017 at 04:50 PM.

If you are concerned, I would suggest offering to nurse more often, and try to let baby (rather than you) decide when to end the feeding. Not always possible when caring for other kids of course.

Bottle feeding at this point if not yet needed for during separations could potentially be harmful to the breastfeeding relationship. Unless you have low milk production, then supplemental bottles would not solve anything nursing more often would not also solve without any drawbacks. Also if you want, you can probably stop pumping to have a stash as you already have a very large stash.

But overall I doubt there is reason to be concerned. If there is any concern, no reason to worry that it decreased so quickly, the concern would be that gain for the last several weeks is on average less than on ounce a day before the age of three months, (after 3 months about .75 ounces a day average would be considered normal gain rate typically, and gain rate continues to decrease from there.

Thank you--that is good reassurance and advice. I am trying to encourage him to nurse a lot today. During the past couple weeks I've been out a lot with the older kids, maybe I need to slow down. To the extent that's possible! I have a really hard time getting a good latch on the left side while nursing out and about,sometimes on uncomfortable chairs etc. Doctor was not concerned at all and doesn't want to see him again for another two months. I sort of wonder how accurate the two weights were. The four and seven week weights were done on different scales and the nurses estimated diaper weights both times. This past appointment she took it so quickly.

I sort of wonder how accurate the two weights were. The four and seven week weights were done on different scales and the nurses estimated diaper weights both times. This past appointment she took it so quickly.
    Ok in that case , I would say the neither weight check can be relied on at all. I think if you online search Jack Newman and weight checks you will see that infant checks have to be done very carefully and with certain criteria intact to be reliable.

https://www.facebook.com/DrJackNewma...43007675850286

But I do not see this info so I will state it:

To be considered accurate, weight checks must be done:

On the same scale. Not same type, same exact scale
    Digital infant scale used
    Scale zeroed out before check
    Person doing check methodical and patient.
    Baby in dry diaper only or naked.
    No blanket on scale unless it is a paper one or weighed as well and that weight subtracted
    Weight number on scale noted and written down by two people (for example, by mom and the nurse) and do not forget to note what the unit used is (ounces, grams, etc.)
    Any conversion math double checked.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; September 9th, 2017 at 09:15 PM.

Thank you for that. It makes a lot of sense, and these weight checks did not meet any of those criteria. My doctor does not put a lot of store in weights; he tends to just observe the baby which is a good thing. So maybe that is why his office is more casual about the way in which they take weights for a baby who is presumed to be healthy. So, I will try to feed more often, and offer both sides, but also not stress about it. I know my baby is growing because he keeps outgrowing his clothes!

I know my baby is growing because he keeps outgrowing his clothes!
    Then all is well.