Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I doing it right? Advice please.

Default Am I doing it right? Advice please.

I think I have little bit of oversupply. Not too much. Baby poops are yellow. Baby is gaining weight. He spits up a lot. Curd like and sometimes actual milk. This is how his nursing schedule is. He goes to sleep by 10-11pm. Wakes up in 3_4 hours and my breasts are full and he usually wants to nurse only one side. Then the other breasts is never used for 5-6 hours. Is that ok? I try to nurse him around 3-4am so that I could keep up the supply. Then he will wake up at 5:30am to nurse, then 8:30,11:30, 3:00, 5:30 then every hour where he is really fussy until he goes to sleep at10-11 pm.. Is it ok to take 3 hours gap in the morning? Doesn't it affect my milk supply. I tried to wake him around 2.5 hours but once he is awake he gets overtired and overstimulated and doesn't want to go back to sleep. I am so worried that i might loose the supply again. Please help.

Default Re: Am I doing it right? Advice please.

He has plenty of poop diapers. I am very sure he is getting enough milk. I try to make him feed from both breasts so that I would simulate both breasts. And won't let other breast go for so long without the milk being removed. I hate to wake him up because if I do he gets really fussy to go back to sleep. But I will wake him if I hit the 3 hour mark

hi nivlovely. Yes how often a baby nurses will effect milk production- but that does not mean it is not ok for baby to take a longer stretch here and there, nurse one side at a time, etc. These are normal variations in nursing behavior and are almost always entirely fine.

If overall baby is nursing often enough to get enough milk to gain normally (usually this means at least 8-12 times in 24 hours for the first several months at least) and you are not feeling uncomfortable during those longer stretches, all is well. If you do get uncomfortable and do not think you need to wake baby, you can simply hand express enough to feel comfortable. Probably no need to do this every time you feel a little full, but if you are uncomfortable it makes sense to relieve that discomfort by getting a little milk out.

Hope that helps?

Hello Maddieb. Thanks for your response. Sorry for long time to get back to you. Baby nurses every 3 hours and he is satisfied with only one breast. so the other breast is not used for 6 hours. initially i encouraged to nurse him often but what happened was whenever he felt sleepy he couldn't nurse because he was full already. So I thought i will let him don the lead. I tried to use both breasts each time but most of the times he doesn't take it. I really really don't want to wake him to nurse since it gets very difficult to pout back him to sleep. I can tell you one scenario. every night say he nurses at 8 and goes to sleep at 9. he wakes as soon as 30 minutes and feel so sleepy and just want to nurse to sleep but doesn't like the flow of the milk and cries hysterically that he couldn't nurse back to sleep. he cries hard for at least one hour. and he gets tired and he nurse to sleep. Please suggest some ideas so i can use both breast each time he nurse. I am unable to make him nurse often. baby is gaining really well. he is pooping at least 6 times a day. Is this normal for a 8 week old? all his poops are yellow watery hardly seedy. please help. I don't want my supply to drop. please help.

He is definitely nursing 8-12 times a day. But the frequency every 3 hours is what annoying me and I am terribly worried about loosing my supply all over again.

Even now the baby was sleeping and my breast was not used for 6 hours so I encouraged him to nurse. He didn't like fast flow and he was mad that he couldn't go back to sleep and started crying very badly. How can I avoid this. Even though breast is best. Sometimes it makes me feel that he is not happy with it all the time. I am so stressed that being a mother I am unable to console him. I hate to use pacifier since it has so many cons. I hate to use it .

. he is pooping at least 6 times a day. Is this normal for a 8 week old?
    Yes, this is normal. Are you concerned it is too much or too little? In fact there is a very wide range of normal for this age with some babies of 2 months old pooping even less than once a day. But many still poop as much as they did the first month as well, many times a day. So this is normal output.

He is definitely nursing 8-12 times a day. But the frequency every 3 hours is what annoying me and I am terribly worried about loosing my supply all over again.
    I think this sounds very normal- so I am gathering what you are concerned about is baby not taking both breasts when baby nurses, so one breast goes longer than 3 hours. Right? But this is also probably normal. As you have reported you had/have overproduction. Well, the baby needs what baby needs, not more. So if mom makes more, then the normal thing would be for milk production to reduce to enough, not too much. In fact what you are describing happening with baby becoming upset when trying to comfort nurse sounds like you are continuing to overproduce, at least somewhat. This is not really a problem, but in the normal of course of things, time will naturally reduce your production to enough, not too much, and that may slow the flow to the point baby is happier nursing for comfort.

If you are very concerned with milk production reducing, or of course if you are uncomfortable between nursing sessions, and do not want to wake baby to nurse, or if when you wake baby and baby is upset or not interested, my best advice after that is to hand express from the breast that has been 'waiting." Does that make sense? A little hand expression will cause the flow to be less next time baby nurses as well as help keep production higher without making it super high. I am not saying this is needed, I think you are probably fine as you are. But this is a suggestion without really much drawback.

Most babies wish to be comforted by some other action than nursing some of the time. This is normal. There are many ways to comfort a baby that do not involve baby suckling.

The use of pacifiers is not usually a problem if nursing is established and going well as long as they are used occasionally, not overused to replace nursing. Of course, not all babies will have anything to do with pacifiers.

Thanks a lot for your response. Ok I was worried since each breast gets used only after 6 hours would dramatically reduce my supply. As you said I try to hand express so that the flow is not too fast and to feel comfortable.

About the poop I thought he is pooping a lot. And since he goes 6 hours to get each breast at times. His stools have become yellow foamy. Is that ok? I will think about the pacifier again

Thank you again. You are such a blessing to the community.

In the world of poop, these are possibly concerning: White poop, black poop, and lots of visible blood in poop. Everything else is usually just a variation on normal.

When a mom has OP and baby is going 6 hours between breasts, sure, they are probably going to get lots of milk all at once when they nurse, and this will tend to moderately change poop look. This is not, however, usually any reason for concern, unless this is causing baby to not want to nurse or to have unusual amounts of severe gastrointestinal discomfort. All babies, just like all humans, have some minor gastrointestinal discomfort regularly. This is how we know we need to use the bathroom for example, or that we ate too much, or we are hungry, etc. We understand what the discomfort means and what we can do about it- but a baby does not and tends react to normal discomfort more dramatically.

I always fed one boob each time until my kid turned one. It was never a problem in terms of supply.

Way too lazy for formula