Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Salvaging Milk Supply & Tongue Tie Issues

Unhappy Salvaging Milk Supply & Tongue Tie Issues

I've had longstanding issues with supply (at least in my mind) and baby has tongue tie, but most LCs say to wait and see, as it's not extremely serious.

My nipples are somewhat damaged and used to be very painful - now tolerable (I think I've been desensitized!)

Last week I went to see a very lovely LC. The days before I had done some power pumping, and baby cluster fed two nights; in addition, I'd been pumping and taking domperidone/fenugreek for weeks.

At the appointment my supply seemed stronger than I'd noticed before.

LC said my supply was fine, recommended I wean off pumping.

Anyway, I fed more confidently after that, which felt great. And in fact, over the last days, baby started crying hysterically because it seemed there was too much milk spraying.

She would cry and writhe and come off breast much earlier than usual. I felt bad but I also felt oversupply would be better than under.

Fast forward 3 days: yesterday I pumped at evening, 20 minutes: 5mL.
    During the day the baby was completely dissatisfied again. She is also not good at getting milk out as her tongue tie, and habit of attaching to nipple, is not helpful.

Then today I pump again, after 30 minutes, I only have 50mL - I used to get a lot more.

On one other breast, I can only get 20mL and baby didn't even drink from it!

So now I've gone to thinking that I have an oversupply to a severe(r) undersupply.

What changed:
    I stopped domperidone, and also stopped pumping cold turkey for a few days.

What do I do? Is it really possible for milk supply to fluctuate like this?
    Last night I was thinking that what if a mother went on a business trip in future? Does the body really react like this, and will it likely take me a month again to rebuild to a state where I feel I have milk?

LC agreed baby has tongue tie but she said wait and see as procedure hurts. I agree, I feel so bad if I have to put her through this pain and I've waited until she is now 9-10 weeks old: isnt the pain worse?

Default Re: Salvaging Milk Supply & Tongue Tie Issues

Is it really possible for milk supply to fluctuate like this?
    Anything is possible but no, it would not be expected in any way for milk production to turn on a dime like this. However, mom's perception of milk production will turn on at dime, with some moms even thinking they have high or normal milk production part of the day and low other parts (and that actually is impossible.)

If you really think your production is low, maybe take the dom again or pump again, even if it causes OP. As long as it is reasonably mild, OP is a much less serious issue than low production.
    Does the body really react like this, and will it likely take me a month again to rebuild to a state where I feel I have milk?
    Why would it take a month? If there really is substantially less milk, (which I doubt) my best guess is that would probably be due to the dom being eliminated more so then the pumping because it happened so fast.

LC agreed baby has tongue tie but she said wait and see as procedure hurts
    Usually it is a small thin membrane that is being released...it will bleed a bit and hurt very momentarily, but properly done this is not a painful procedure when done in the newborn period and your baby is still a newborn. No baby likes to be held down and their mouth messed with, so of course the baby is likely to act very upset. But if a frenectomy is likely to help baby breastfeed better, then it is probably worth it.

The problem is, often tongue tie is blamed when in fact that is not the problem or the problem could be solved without the surgery, or the surgerty does not help. There is still not complete consensus about treating tongue tie and breastfeeding and that makes it a complicated issue unfortunately.

50 mil normal amount to get when pumping. Here is more info that may help you:

pumping milk and amounts: http://kellymom.com/hot-topics/pumping_decrease/

Low milk production (start with first part!) http://kellymom.com/hot-topics/low-supply/

Perceived low milk production: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/perc...fficient-milk/

Default Re: Salvaging Milk Supply & Tongue Tie Issues

MaddieB

You are so kind - thank you so much for being a voice of sanity, reason and perspective for me. I wish I could give you a reward.

We spoke to our doctor today (who is not specialized in ties) and she said "Why don't you go ahead and do the procedure, she is still a newborn, and you have been talking about it for a long time"..

I am back on my dom again now.

With pumping, I will try to fit in two power pumps (I will not pump during day when she drinks as I don't want her not to have milk - I think she drinks let down quite well, but not with extracting the hindmilk as much)

Hugs to you...thanks for your support again. I will read the links tonight.